Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #31 
SpookyTooth

At this moment in time we have two cats, several guppies, several platys, my betta (Kaze), my giant African land snail known as "D" (raised him from an egg, donated his parents to a local private school; they now live with two giant millipedes and another giant African land snail), several other species of snail (nerites, Malaysian trumpets, ramshorn)...

And as of today some red cherry shrimp.

I'd love to have a wider variety of animals as part of my family but unfortunately I can't due to illness, hence why I had to rehome "D"'s parents. I do love animals and can't get out of the house very often so being able to have some with me in my room is very therapeutic.

In the past I've kept various species of vernal pool critters (triops, seed shrimp, daphnia etc) and had a hamster when I was a child.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #32 
Pitluvs

I'm an animal lover :) We currently have our 8 yr old dog, our 9 y old cat, a 2 yr old stray cat we took in, a 7 year old Bearded Dragon and 4 rats (other than our many tanks of fish). I'm also a foster Mom for a local stray and feral cat rescue, although I don't have any fosters right now :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #33 
Laki

Africa. Giant. Snail.... Tell me a bit more about those!! I had to google it because I was like , " now what could possibly be...$%^&** that's a large snail!!!"
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #34 
SpookyTooth

Ohhh I could go on all day about GALS (Giant African Land Snails), they are absolutely gorgeous! Real characters.

"D" has a shell length of 8 - 10 cm at the moment; he can get bigger and may do so once I move him to the empty 14 gallon aquarium. They're exceptionally easy to keep similarily to bettas (once you've made an initial investment) and are fantastic for first-time pet owners.

They can live up and over 10 years if kept appropriately and must have a deep soil substrate (they are burrowers); they feed off fruits and vegetables (nothing too acidic though) and also need calcium. Calcium can be supplied in the form of crushed eggshells, cuttlefish bone ("D" adores cuttlefish bone... give him a choice between any vegetable/fruit on the planet and a piece of cuttelfish bone and he'll pick the calcium any day! You can hear him rasping on it at night) and even beer! You can mix a few drops of beer in with their water and it'll help their shell growth.

They also don't mind cat biscuits.

GALS like humid environments, so closed off terrariums and the likes are good (obviously with ventilation) and they should be misted twice daily with a plant mister (using regular tap water). Their soil should be cleaned out once a week to once every two weeks and substrates such as rehydrated coconut fibre bricks are ideal... regular potting compost can be used as long as it's sterilized beforehand (we used to use regular potting compost but kept having odd plants pop up, could be bad if the snail eats them).

"D"'s parents were like an old married couple. GALS are hermaphrodites so a pair will definately give you eggs if they are of age (they cannot breed with themselves); Dawn and Dusk (D's parents) kept giving us eggs and I hated destroying them (30-200 eggs per clutch) so I thought we'd seperate the snails... they sulked. They wouldn't come out of their shells, wouldn't eat... they just sat in their terrariums for days.

The moment they were back in the same home they burst into life and sat next to each other. These two would follow each other around their terrarium all day sometimes.

The problem with GALS is that they are illegal in many countries across the globe, including most states in the USA. This is likely due to the risk of them escaping and becoming a pest, so countries with not-so-mild winters (such as England, where I reside) are the only places allowed to keep GALS as if the animals escape then they won't survive long enough to become a problem to native flora/fauna.

Heh... they can be very noisy sometimes. I've had nights where mine has woken me up several times. They have a habit of making squelching noises when they're overly excited at a piece of cucumber or something, scrape on their cuttelfish and have a habit of climbing to the top of their enclosure and letting go... but it's cute when they stick their head through one of the drainage holes of a plantpot just to say good morning, and I wouldn't be without "D"; he's brightened my day on so many occasions.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 04-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #35 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow.. Who woulda thought.. A snail. Makes me feel bad about crushing aquarium snail pests Dx
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #36 
Laki

wow, thanks for the info!! That's SO interesting!! Who would have thought that D's parents would become depressed without each other!! lol D is fine all alone then? How come you kept only one egg out of all those clutches? Would you raise some and sell some as pets (since they're legal?) I don't know if they're legal here in my province or country but I know my native climate would kill them too if they like humidity!! lol Newfoundland would be too cold for them. I know giant millipedes and scorpions are legal. I think its illegal to sell the giant millipedes now but my sister had one a few years ago :/
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #37 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Millepedes are adorable.
The nastiest thing I ever saw at my exotic store was some Asian centipede that was ginormous. Like, it was purple and orange, and huge. And from what I get, most of them are toxic, and each of their legs has a little fang on the bottom and they can poison you if they crawl on you o.o WHO would want that?! Centipedes are the creepiest things IMO, they're the only thing I haveeee to kill when I'm outside :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #38 
Nijis

I have 2 cats, 2 dogs, 3 fish tanks, 3 land snails, and 2 slugs
Nijis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #39 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Wow.. Who woulda thought.. A snail. Makes me feel bad about crushing aquarium snail pests Dx

Heh xD I feel bad for my mother (she takes care of the 22gal); we've had pest snail infestations in the past and I've been so up in her face about not harming them... I'm biased, though. But I can understand the devastation a huge population of pest snails can cause (we lost a fry tank to them a few years ago, we were very new to fry though and it was partly my own fault).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
wow, thanks for the info!! That's SO interesting!! Who would have thought that D's parents would become depressed without each other!! lol D is fine all alone then? How come you kept only one egg out of all those clutches? Would you raise some and sell some as pets (since they're legal?) I don't know if they're legal here in my province or country but I know my native climate would kill them too if they like humidity!! lol Newfoundland would be too cold for them. I know giant millipedes and scorpions are legal. I think its illegal to sell the giant millipedes now but my sister had one a few years ago :/
It's my pleasure :). GALS can be kept on their own with no problems, they are more active in groups but D doesn't seem to mind; he's usually out and about when I get up in the morning and I'm always there to give him attention (they're a bit like bettas in that respect, they like attention and can be quite the attention fiends).

We originally kept 5 eggs from one clutch as it would be easier to rehome them (although they are common pets it can be rather difficult to find home for young as they are such prolific breeders when they're older) and two hatched; the first was "D", who I kept and the second (I can't spell his name but his nickname is "Pop") went to my sister. Pardon the comparison but hatching GALS eggs is like germinating carnivorous plant seeds: warmth, humidity, the right soil and levels of moisture and not much can go wrong.

I will say... once I went to check on Dawn and Dusk before going to bed and spotted something odd in the terrarium... turns out a clutch of about 30 eggs had gone unchecked and there were babies everywhere. Whoops. This is the incident that sparked us seperating the pair... the babies look like balls of snot with a transparent shell - still adorable when they are out and about.

We were very blessed as someone offered to take them ALL in. The babies are sometimes used as feeders for geckos and lizards... I don't think I could breed GALS if that was a potential future for them LOL. We were reassured that the ones we rehomed were to be pets, not feeders though!

Part of me would like to breed "D" when he's about 3 years old so I can continue his bloodline later into my life. If I do decide to do that I would definately arrange housing for any other babies BEFORE considering looking for a mate... I don't want that same panic and fear as with Dawn's unexpected clutch.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #40 
Pogthefish

XD this stuffs interesting XD
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, dogs, fish, horses, pets