Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
DoberMom

I think I'm done with the sorority (rant)

I got a 29 gallon tank and stocked it with 11 betta. They have been dropping like flies. I'm so sad. One of my favorites is gone and so is my bf's favorite. I couldn't figure it out at first until I saw a murder happen in front of me. I thought maybe they were getting sick and dying because by the time I would find the bodies, they would be partially eaten. Well, one day, my most favorite female, Shredder (CT) went after one of the smaller females from under and tore a big hole in the little female's tummy. I took Shredder out right away and put her in a breeder box inside the 29 gallon. I cupped the injured girl but she died almost right away after having her guts ripped out in one bite. She was the fifth victim of Shredder. No deaths occurred after she was removed. But then one of my other girls got really bloated. She died last night. I'm so disappointed. I only have 4 left and one of them looks like she has pop eye. She has been quarantined but I don't know if she'll make it; she refuses to eat. I have 2 that look great and are eating fine. The other is slow and lethargic. I haven't seen her eat. If I lose her too I'll only have 2 females left in my 29 gallon. This is ridiculous. I'm seriously depressed. I know no one said it would be easy to keep a sorority but wow I was not expecting this. I just feel like such a failure and now I have this big empty tank. I'm seriously thinking of trying a different species, but I just LOVE betta. I even have 7 fry I'm raising and loving. They are in a 5 gal and seem to be doing just fine. I've been doing 50% water changes with Prime 2 times a week. I just don't know what to do anymore. It is so discouraging. Thanks for reading my rant
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I know how you feel, luckily none of my bettas have fought hard enough to kill each other. I kind of have to agree with you though, if you can't observe your tank long enough to see if your girls are not getting along then they are not the fish you're going to want to have. My girls at first required a lot of attention because they were not the friendliest but now after being with each other for 2 weeks they are starting to get along.

I'm sorry for your losses, but at least you will have a tank to start anew with some fish that need saving.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Don't give up. It sounds like Shredder was well named (maybe name future girls Peace and Harmony?), but with her removed the sorority should be a quieter place. I would try building it up again.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #4 
DoberMom

When first observing the girls, what do you do when you see a lot of chasing and nipping? Update: the girl with pop-eye died and the slow-lethargic one has dropsy. Now I only have 2 females in my 29 gallon and they're starting to get on each other's nerves.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

If you only have two together, then the stronger one is going to pick on the weaker one. You either need to rearrange the tank and add at least 3 more females OR take one of them out.

That's the thing with an all female tank - you may get one, two or more that just can not live with other bettas and it results in some deaths. I had a 20G female tank and once I removed the two aggressors - no more torn fins or aggression. Some chashing but thats about it.

It's basically a gamble, sometime you get lucky - other times, not so much.

I would try again- keep an eye on them for a few days. If anyone is being a butthead, remove them.

I watch them to see if their querrels get out of hand, if so I remove the aggressor.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i lost 3 sororities, i lost 3 spawns, and i lost like around 10 males. i know how you feel to loose so much betta's that meant a lot. fish keeping isn't easy basically but we all still try. right now all of my fish are in seperate tanks so they don't hurt each other, and don't catch each other's diseases
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i lost 3 sororities, i lost 3 spawns, and i lost like around 10 males. i know how you feel to loose so much betta's that meant a lot. fish keeping isn't easy basically but we all still try. right now all of my fish are in seperate tanks so they don't hurt each other, and don't catch each other's diseases
i have a female that i 'rescued' from a pet store because i saw her and the other females in a battle royale in the bowl at the pet store.

i think people have bred stronger this instinct to fight into betta and they're just better off separate from their own kind.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i have a female that i 'rescued' from a pet store because i saw her and the other females in a battle royale in the bowl at the pet store.

i think people have bred stronger this instinct to fight into betta and they're just better off separate from their own kind.
I don't think that their instincts to fight is the issue, you can also attribute the fish's personality to their aggression as well. When I look for a betta to put in with my sorority I look for the ones that don't look peeved that they are in a cup; and the ones that will try to swim away from you when you look at them, they will be more inclined to steer away from fighting and make better sorority girls.

But even then some girls are just not compatible with each other and I will return them if they can't play nice.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

2 females will not work i would separate them .
I would say if you love fish and love bettas don't give up. And if sorority didn't work you can have betta in separate tanks.They don't need company so you don't have to worry about that :) I really think it wonderful experience to have sorority but it big job and you never know if it will work. I am probably to lazy or overwhelmed in my life to have it. But there is less hassle to keep them separate.I have 8 of them .. I have 2.5 gall tanks. Never have any problems at all. I learned from my sister to take care of them. And since i have them no problem , no sick one's .I feel so bad to see them in the stores..
Sorry for your loss,but don't get disappointed and give up...it not your fault we all learn on hard way.

Also be careful and watch your 2 females since they were in the same tank with sick one's , make sure they don't get sick.

Also pop eye can be very easily treated with Epsom salt or with medications.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote