Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #11 
Mandy Pandy

I think I'm going to go with 1 or 2 bristlenose pleco, 8ish ghost shrimp (my local feed store has them 8 for $1 so I think they'll be my best bet to start with) and 7 girls. :)

Right now I have my tank set up, have some plants (2 anubis, 1 amazon sword, and a marimo), a few decorations, and have a big ole shrimp I bought from the grocery story wrapped in some spare tulle I had laying around in there to make some ammonia for me. Now I just have to wait for the tank to finish cycling and I can add some fishies. :3
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

I like your stocking plan, but I would strongly recommend a bunch more plants, ranging from medium to tall, to provide heaps of cover.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #13 
tammyfiggy

I read I can put female betta fish in with angel fish and groumis. how about Killifish???
tammyfiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #14 
kfryman

Those fish are not compatible, angles need a high tank as well.

Oh that shrimp cycling is not a good idea. It WILL get fungus and cause more problems. Do it the old fashion way and fish in or just put ammonia in. Also you need way more plants! Look from the side, if you see the other side, you have too little plants.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyfiggy View Post
I read I can put female betta fish in with angel fish and groumis. how about Killifish???
Whatever source told you angels and gouramis would be fine is way off base. That's a really bad idea.

As for the killifish, there are more than a thousand species out there. You'll have to be a bit more specific.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Killifish are usually fairly 'darty' swimmers, and generally quite colourful. They may prove a target for female bettas. However, there may be some native killie species available that are less colourful and a more suitable option.

Ideally, you want something peaceful, that isn't too much of an active or unpredictable swimmer, and that isn't going to be targeted for aggression by your bettas.

Rasboras and some tetra species are a good option. I personally like the look of some of the smaller species of rasbora a little better than the tetras.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote