Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 
ryuhn

having a bit of a problem with ammonia.

So i got my 3g tank about 3 months ago and i dont know if i cycled the tank properly because i didnt have any testing equipment. But now i Do and i have a halfmoon with gravel and a plant in it. Heater and filter is also in there. I'm using R/O water and treating it with stress zyme, stress coat, and Kent RO right. The halfmoon got fin rot and i tested the water and its at .25-.50.

As of right now, im lost on what to do..I read somewhere that I should do 50% WC everyday until the ammonia level reads zero. But im obligated to do this because im worried i didnt cycle my tank yet and wouldnt changing 50% of the water everyday restart or slow the cycle by alot? So what should i do..
ryuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #2 
ryuhn

Also my plant is a riccia..i may have use too much light on it or the water has too much phosphate from the bloodworms that i feed my halfmoon once in a while which is causing the riccia plant to grow long hair algae..could algae be a reason for ammonia levels to go up?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here.

Actually I wouldn't recommend cycling a 3 gal tank as there isn't usually enough surface area to hold a good cycle. Just doing one 50% water change and one 100% change a week is good.

About the finrot: how are your treating it? Generally with mild cases of finrot it can be treated with daily water changes and salt. Sometimes clean water is all you need.

About the algae: algae doesn't cause ammonia; ammonia and excess nutrients cause algae. Planted tanks are a balance between light, nutrients, and plant growth. If something is out of whack you'll get algae. Try keeping the lights on for no more than 8 hours. Timers are great for this.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #4 
ryuhn

really? I thought tanks of all sizes should be cycled no matter what with weekly water changes so that ammonia levels will always stay at zero? The only time i heard a tank should have 100% water changes is if it does not have a filter right?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Cycling does make ammonia stay at or near zero, but there isn't always enough surface area to hold a good strong colony of bactera in a 3 gal tank even with a filter. If the proper bacterial colonies do develop they will be much more fragile than those in a 10 gal or larger. Even if there is a filter, it doesn't always provide the needed space for the bacteria. A filter doesn't mean cycled.

100% changes are needed in any tank without a cycle. If you are trying to build a cycle you shouldn't do 100% changes. Have you read the threads at the top about cycling? How were you cycling your tank for 3 months?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #6 
ryuhn

okay so i think i realized what had change my ammonia level to go nuts..about 2 weeks ago..i had added a sponge filter to wrap around my power filter to stop the tough suction. While i added the new filter i also cleaned out the power filter. Now i realized that probably would have restarted the cycle?
Anyways I have taken my betta out of the filtered tank and placed him into a 2.5g unfiltered tank performing 50% and 100% water changes a week.

The readings for the filtered tank had gone up to like 3-4ppm and i did a 20% water change is this correct for me to do each week until ammonia and nitrite level goes to 0?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #7 
Micho

You can't cycle anything under less than 5 gallons. Because there's not enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria colonizes, but in return in what you'll get when cycle something under 5 gallons is things called "mini-cycles", it'll seem like you have cycled but in the end it'll just crash. So cleaning out the power filter, yeah you can't even cycle a 3g so it wouldn't have even mattered.

Yeah but you may want to do 2 100% water changes per week. Since your guy has fin rot you have to maintain the water quality in order for him to heal. Are you planning to just use clean water or are you using AQ salt treatment as well?

And wow 3 - 4ppm is really high, just do a 100% water change, like we said you can't cycle anything under 5g.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Its not that smaller tanks can't cycle-they can-its more due to limited surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize that can cause the cycle to not be as stable......with filtered tanks especially with live plants-you don't need to make any 100% water changes IMO/E...just 50% at least weekly with live active growing plants and twice weekly without live plants in tanks under 5gal regardless of cycling.

Usually hair algae is due to either too high of watts or the light too close to the water....what kind of light are you using, the watts, kelvin, age of bulb, position of the bulb and photoperiod.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote