Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 
Pataflafla

Just keep up with the epsom salt and water changes and he should make it through.

The epsom is to help flush any chemicals out, and the water changes are to help with that and the cloudy eyes.

Don't worry about his fins falling off a little bit. That happened to my boy, he lost about half his finnage from the rays to the webbing, but it grew back pretty quick. Just offer a high protein diet like you would be if you wanted to spawn him anyway, so no real changes there and just keep the water a bit cleaner than normal.

As far as heater function, definitely should be sealed, so there shouldn't be any moisture or condensation on the inside of the glass. I recommend getting an Eheim Jager (Very good brand, a bit big and a little pricey, but they're adjustable and reliable).

This is my guy after two days of twice daily water changes and epsom salt at 2 tsp/gal:

Name:  007 (2).jpg
Views: 35
Size:  48.0 KB

Last edited by Pataflafla; 04-04-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #12 
Misakitty

Thank-you very much for the help. I never would have known what was wrong with him, and I took the heater back. They gave me a new one, and this time I am just not submerging the top of it. It is supposed to be safe under the water, but I already learned my lesson.

Ivan is looking rather crispy. I'm worried about his pectoral fins falling off. He was pretty excited when I offered him boiled egg yolk tonight; last night he looked like he was having difficulty with his motor skills eating larger bits of food. I've never seen him so shy, like he knows he looks pathetic.

Did your guy recover back to his old personality and aggression levels?
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

He's actually a little more aggressive now, but activity levels are back to normal. Give him a week to start being his normal self. Even if his pectorals fall off, they'll grown back. If they do start to shred a little bit, then lower the water level to make getting to the surface easier for him.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #14 
Misakitty

He is doing a lot better today; and he has quite an appetite. I'm very hopeful I'll still be able to breed him. Thank you!
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote