Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #11 
Siigari

Well I got him anti-fungus medicine in his tank and it worked! Even after only one day he looks MUCH better. The fungus seems to have almost disappeared completely. There's a little bit left on one of his fins. I will be continuing the treatment (it goes for I think 3 or 4 days) but I am so thrilled. He looks full and vibrant already.
Siigari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
How will raising the temperature negatively affect the fish and result in the heightened amount of fungal attacks. Raising the temperature to 80 will infact help with the disease without resulting in the fungus getting worse. While warming the tank too high can result in the fungus progressing further. A lower temperature that is out if a Betta fish's prefered range such as 76 will have same or similar effects In My Experience. Also how will medicine ruin the cycle? Can you elaborate on this please. I don't see any potential with ruining the cycle. Perhaps you are confusing the medicine not working in tanks with activate carbon. Another thing, are you aware if the plant in the tank? I doubt. Are you aware if which pant are salt tolerant. There are a few species of given plants that can survived in a marine environment, there are ones that can suricate In an alkaline hard one. They can all tolerate a different range of salt additives. Plant such as hornwort won't do well in salt tanks while others will do fairly fine with added levels of salt. Why should the OP QT him, keeping him in an abnormal tank setting will only stress him further which in then would result in the disease progressing further, do ideally you would want to keep the fish in its normal tank along with treating the whole tank as there is a slight possibility of the other fish having the same disease or other diseases
-sigh- yes many medicines do eliminate bacteria, including BB, which can ruin a cycle or cause a mini cycle ;)
The person said they have bamboo in their tank. Bamboo is not salt tolerant.
And water changes are much easier to do, keeping water pristine in a smaller tank.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #13 
Mo

Can you please specify? I can't think of any that would have an adverse effect. Maybe an over dosed certain types of medicines with harmful substances might. But at any type of over dose, there is a risk such as killing the fish, etc. depending on what type of medication. So if you stay at the recommended dose, there should be know adverse effects. Possibly you are referring to most packages saying, and recommending to remove activated carbon which is sometimes found in filter cartridges. They recommend this due to the fact of activated carbon eliminating most medications

Also changing the habitat drastically would further result in the disease progressing further if it is stress or lowered immune system related. As changing the tank would cause both resulting in the disease getting worse. While water changes would be easier in a small tank, there also could be a negative ending result of both cupping the fish too often during water changes and drastically changing its habitat

Also, actually lucky bamboo. Which is type of Dracaena are slightly salt tolerant so the amount of salt that is added will differently affect the plant depending on how much is added. So while they are only tolerant to a certain level, they still can grow healthy with a low added salt amount contained within the area. So the information regarding them being non salt tolerant is very innacurate

Last edited by Mo; 04-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

"Many medications affect the ability of the bacteria to function in the biological filtration. For instance, anti-bacterial medications act in the way the name describes, by killing many types of bacteria. Unfortunately, the biological filtration is bacteria-based, and will be affected by these medications. Other medications such as copper, antibiotics, and ich treatments will also affect the filtration in different degrees. It is important, when treating an aquarium, to closely monitor both the ammonia and nitrite levels and to perform water changes or chemical filtration when necessary."
Makes sense to me. Our bio filters run with small icky things, meds kill small icky things.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2154&aid=2657

"Oh boy! That doesn't look good. I'm sorry but you're probably going to have to start cycling all over again as most antifungals and antibacterial meds also kill the good bacteria. Is there any way you could get pure ammonia?" - quote thekoimaiden, who's opinion I trust greatly, when I was having problems with my cycle.

And IMO pristine water that is changed daily prevents illnesses from progressing, but maybe that's just me.

And why risk adding salt in that case? ;)

Last edited by Olympia; 04-05-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo's.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #15 
Mo

Pristine water will not block any diseases from forming, a most are always and always will be in your water such as ich, it wil most likely be contained in your water. Yet wil only attack when the immune system of the fish is low enough, changing the tank will lower the immune system further. And while some diseases can be prevented by clean water, it can also result in an adverse effect In this situation

Also. These copper, antibacterial, etc medications have had no adverse effect on my cycle, partly due to the ability of the Benificial bacterial ability to withstand a range of given environments, while they can't survive without water, or a source of food. They can cursive in virtually any habitat. A low PH a high PH, a low hardness, a high hardness, a freshwater tank, a saltwater tank. So I'm assuming that they will do fine with the recommended doses of most medications. This is also mostly from experience, so I would stand by my personal experience in this case. I had no ammonia, or nitrites spikes, and the same amount of steady nitrates within my aquarium. Also, copper will not have any substantial negative effect towards the filters benificial bacteria, while once to a certain level it will. The recommended dose given by most medications is a safe dose. I speak from experience, having a fertilizer that contains high levels of copper dosing x2 weekly with no adverse effects on my invertibrates, tetras, and bacteria. Another thing. when Reading your post I notice the fact it sais antibacterial medications can have this adverse effect, I had previously said I can't think of any that would cause this adverse effect pressumably speaking of anifungal treatments which is what we a aiming to use in this situation, which usually don't have any abnormal effects towards the benificial bacteria.

Last edited by Mo; 04-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in deterioration, white growth