Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
DoberMom
Member
 
DoberMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, Cali
10Gal stocking question

Hello,

My bf has a 10 gal with a CT male, a bamboo or wood shrimp (whatever you call em, they have different names), and 2 Siamese algae eaters. Is this too much for a 10 gal? Another question is how do you take care of a bamboo shrimp? are they ok with sponge filters as opposed to power filters?
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberMom View Post
Hello,

My bf has a 10 gal with a CT male, a bamboo or wood shrimp (whatever you call em, they have different names), and 2 Siamese algae eaters. Is this too much for a 10 gal? Another question is how do you take care of a bamboo shrimp? are they ok with sponge filters as opposed to power filters?
First off the 2 Siamese Algae Eaters will grow to a very big size (6 inches!), they eat tons of algae, and probably will not survive in your tank. The thing is with most algae eating fish like Otos is that they need tons and tons and tons of algae to survive, I recommend trying to rehome your SAEs, they need an established tank that has tons of algae and live plants for them to eat, some people say minimum of 25g others around 60g+.

Also the Bamboo shrimps are another issue. Bamboo shrimps are filter feeders which means the tank needs to have a steady current, this goes against that male CT you have, Bettas can't withstand strong currents. So, try re-homing them.

Now if you successfully rehome both the SAEs and the Bamboo shrimps, a 10g alone with a CT male. Depending on the temperament of the Betta you can house a variety of things. Look in this thread to find out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97337
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
A bamboo shrimp could survive with a betta in a ten gallon.
What is of concern is the behavior of the shrimp. Many like to stand right in the filter flow with their arms out stretched. You should provide something for him to climb up to get near the current. This is a healthy bamboo shrimps behavior.
If he is on the bottom, picking through gravel, there is not enough food floating around. They need well established tanks and can be hard to keep.

Also, algae eaters must go, when they get big they suck the fish's slime coats, quite damaging to a betta..

After that, we need to know you pH and water hardness to make an informed decision for tank mates. Besides your bettas temperament, water parameters are the single greatest factor in choosing fish.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #4 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
A bamboo shrimp could survive with a betta in a ten gallon.
What is of concern is the behavior of the shrimp. Many like to stand right in the filter flow with their arms out stretched. You should provide something for him to climb up to get near the current. This is a healthy bamboo shrimps behavior.
If he is on the bottom, picking through gravel, there is not enough food floating around. They need well established tanks and can be hard to keep.

Also, algae eaters must go, when they get big they suck the fish's slime coats, quite damaging to a betta..

After that, we need to know you pH and water hardness to make an informed decision for tank mates. Besides your bettas temperament, water parameters are the single greatest factor in choosing fish.
I think you're thinking about Chinese Algae Eaters, Siamese Algae Eaters are less aggressive. SAE can only be territorial with their same species, it's best to keep only one or 5+ for a shoal.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Oh woops. All those sucker things are the same to me. Well either way, it's a no no right? xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #6 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Oh woops. All those sucker things are the same to me. Well either way, it's a no no right? xD
Yep still a no-no. SAEs get 6 inches long when fully grown. Also they need tons algae and need a well established tank, so a 10g wouldn't cut it. Maybe something around 25g+ with lots of live plants, and the tank being well-established.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 
fish monger
Member
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Unless you really like algae eaters, I've found them to be worthless insofar as living up to their name is concerned. With the possible exception of the Whiptail Catfish, they all prefer to gorge themselves on the easy to get fish food. Who can blame them ?
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #8 
DoberMom
Member
 
DoberMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, Cali
So.... it seems that neither of Spike's tankmates are ok? I do often see the bamboo shrimp picking at the substrate but I read somewhere that you can feed them algae wafers. Would they also be sufficient enough for the SAE? I know two isn't going to work but what about maybe just one? Or maybe just the CT male Spike and the bamboo shrimp? What are my options here? I personally have one 5gal and one 29gal. I'd like him to be able to keep at least one of his tankmates.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #9 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberMom View Post
So.... it seems that neither of Spike's tankmates are ok? I do often see the bamboo shrimp picking at the substrate but I read somewhere that you can feed them algae wafers. Would they also be sufficient enough for the SAE? I know two isn't going to work but what about maybe just one? Or maybe just the CT male Spike and the bamboo shrimp? What are my options here? I personally have one 5gal and one 29gal. I'd like him to be able to keep at least one of his tankmates.
:l Bamboo shrimps are not supposed to go picking food from your substrate this means that they are starving! A happy Bamboo shrimp will not move for days and just set up his four little filters and feed himself. I really suggest you create a current for them and a place for them to stand near the current so they can just filter feed themselves.

As for the SAE, no. They need to be in a bigger well-established tank with lots of live plants and algae for them to consume. Also just get your CT some other tank mates that can work? Cories if you have sand, or some species of tetras could work.

But yeah sorry if I sound blunt and rude but that's the truth.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 
DoberMom
Member
 
DoberMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, Cali
No it makes sense. Thanks. We have a sponge filter in the 10 gal. Doesn't that create a filter? I do have a power filter that I am not using. Would that be better than a sponge filter? Would that be stressful on the CT? What about the SAE? would they do well in my 29 gal? It's still cycling. My bf does like the look of neon tetras. How many could I have in the 10 gal if it was just the tetras and the betta?
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Divided 10Gal. question CyerRyn Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 04-25-2011 10:32 AM
Another stocking question Welsh Betta Fish Compatibility 7 08-17-2010 09:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.