Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 
wickedrodent

Minumum Depth?

Hey guys! I am thinking about creating some 3.75 gal betta tanks out of sterilite containers and I was just wondering if they are deep enough.

Sterilite - 1753: 15 Quart ClearView Latch™ Box

Those are the ones I am looking at. They're 3.75 gal. 17" L x 11 1/8" W x 6 1/2" H

Is 6 1/2 deep enough? That's my concern. I'm trying to find something taller around the same size but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks in advance!
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 
Micho

16.5 cm. . Hm.

I would say no. Just my opinion, wild Bettas live in shallow but wide rice paddies. But if you add substrate that'll minus a couple of inches. . So in the end, even for a Betta that's a bit too shallow.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
wickedrodent

Yeah - that was my thought. I found one that's 4 gal and 7" deep. I'm trying to find one around 9" or so >.<
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I have a shallow tank that is only 18cms high and has around 2-3cm of substrate at the bottom. Coupled with the fact it isn't filled to the top, I would estimate I have between 12 (shallow end) - 15cms of water in it.

The male I have in there does fine, but the tank itself is 60cm long so gives him lots of room to swim around. I actually prefer shallow tanks as you can easily do ripariums or paludariums, and I don't need to get much of my arm wet.

It all comes down to personal preference really.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

If they are just temp tanks, you wouldn't need substrate. I don't think 16.5 cm is too shallow for something temporary. For a permanent home I personally wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 5 gallons for water quality reasons.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I think this is one of the sizes I use as a temp tank. Those crappy ceramic neon caves barely get covered by water - still better then a petco cup though. Since its shallow, I lay silk plants on their side for more hiding spots and a heater can go horizontally
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I think it would be fine. As KoiMaiden said, substrate isn't necessary, and it doesn't matter if your decorations stick out the water.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 
wickedrodent

I'm thinking about using these containers as homes for the male bettas:
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=645&view=0&picture=1&tab=Spe cifications&ProductCategory=254&section=1

They're about 7 gallons each.

Or these, which are around 5 gallons (a bit concerned on the height):

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=644&view=0&picture=1&tab=Spe cifications&ProductCategory=254&section=1

I'm looking for something permanent rather than temporary. Either of these look good? =D

ETA: Actually, I don't think those gallon estimates are right. I used an aquarium size calculator but based on the 15qt dimentions that seems really off. >.< Can't find a qt size listed for them, though.

Last edited by wickedrodent; 04-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #9 
jasonh
Banned

bettas should probably have a minimum of 12inches height in their tank

those sterlite things look like crap for a fish tank.

you need a _fish tank_ not some plastic container where you put junk
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

12"+ is a lot of height in a tank. Bettas prefer long, shallow tanks as they do come to the top for air. Tall and narrow are less desired. There is such thing and too shallow, as well as too tall.

Anyways, I would use these as I have no issue with 3g tanks. AT ALL. I have seen members use these and have happy little fish. I also use the larger 25g Sterlite/Rubbermaid containers for lager tanks when needed. I like the 7g containers you posted as well, much more actually. But yes, I would use them, put a few glass rocks in the bottom to give it color and some nice plants. They do have small plants with suction cups on them, you could suction them to the side of the container on the first one you posted. Main thing is, can you heat them?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote