Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #11 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
12"+ is a lot of height in a tank. Bettas prefer long, shallow tanks as they do come to the top for air. Tall and narrow are less desired. There is such thing and too shallow, as well as too tall.

12" isnt that high.
http://i.imgur.com/16qOH.jpg
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #12 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
12" isnt that high.
Your right it isn't high, but you don't want a 5 gallon that is super tall and has almost no horizontal swimming room. Bettas need long tanks period. You don't want to put something that breaths atmospheric air in a tank that is too tall for the fish to go back and get more air. It just causes more problems.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #13 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
12" isnt that high.
But the point is that Bettas prefer long and wide tanks rather than tall and narrow tanks.

In wild, Bettas live in shallow but giant rice paddies. The lack of oxygen for in these paddies is why they have their labyrinth organ. Having too tall of tanks are bad for Bettas, they like lots of horizontal swimming space. :l
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #14 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Your right it isn't high, but you don't want a 5 gallon that is super tall and has almost no horizontal swimming room. Bettas need long tanks period. You don't want to put something that breaths atmospheric air in a tank that is too tall for the fish to go back and get more air. It just causes more problems.
yeah i wouldnt suggest a tank with a super small footprint. i dont even like those 5gals that are hexagon.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #15 
LionCalie

There is nothing wrong with using plastic bins to house Bettas. Many people use them as a cheaper and lighter alternative to regular aquariums. If you buy them brand new (so nothing possibly toxic has been inside) and wash it out good then you are good to go.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #16 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
There is nothing wrong with using plastic bins to house Bettas. Many people use them as a cheaper and lighter alternative to regular aquariums. If you buy them brand new (so nothing possibly toxic has been inside) and wash it out good then you are good to go.
if you say so, but i think a container for storing odds and ends isnt what you should be putting a fish in.

it's ugly and i think if you are going to keep a pet you can atleast spend a few bucks on a real aquarium. if i was a breeder or needed a hospital tank [mine is a 1.5 gal acrylic tank] i might consider it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I see nothing wrong with using plastic sterilite containers. I have big black ones I have used for grow-outs, guppies and a sorority.

They are good to have if you only need a temporary larger space (I don't have room to house or store four 2ft long tanks) and also give owners the opportunity to save their money and use it elsewhere on equipment or live plants etc.

I have a huge one I intend on using to house some medaka fish in next summer. To buy a tank or pre-made pond that size would have been an exorbitant waste of money.

Fish don't really care where they are housed, and I have seen many purpose-built tanks that look a heck of a lot uglier than a sterilite tub.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #18 
TakoLuLu

To be perfectly honest, even a fancy premade pond shell is just a glorified, more naturally shaped, storage container. Same thing goes for acrylic aquariums, IMHO. Glass doesn't change much from either of those options save for aesthetics, really.
TakoLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #19 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoLuLu View Post
To be perfectly honest, even a fancy premade pond shell is just a glorified, more naturally shaped, storage container. Same thing goes for acrylic aquariums, IMHO. Glass doesn't change much from either of those options save for aesthetics, really.

yeah but a real fishtank just looks better. and it's designed to keep fish.

sure the animal will survive in a container that's made for keeping junk and odds and ends. if you cant afford 35 bucks [or less] for a tank you shouldnt be in this hobby. lets face reality here.

if you're a breeder and you have a lot of fish around, fine i understand it.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #20 
LionCalie

This thread is not about what you think looks better. Lets keep it on topic.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote