Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #11 
Bombalurina

Sena, that's just for fancy goldfish. For comets or commons, the type you win at carnivals, it's a 55gal as a bare minimum for one, with a 20 gallon minimum for each additional fish. I am setting up a 125 gallon pond, and keeping just 4 in there would be pushing it.

Turquioce: unless you have the space for a pond, I wouldn't suggest keeping any. If you keep one, you really need to keep 3, because they are group animals. 3 goldfish means *at least* a 90 gallon tank or pond with heavy filtration. That's a massive investment.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #12 
Mo

wouldn't even a 55 gallon be a bit to small for one, I was always under the impression that 125 would be the minimum due to a common goldfish's full size, there activity, and how social they are meaning that you would need a minimum of 2 goldfish. So that a 125+ gallon tank would be ideal
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #13 
inareverie85

Are these actual goldfish?

I'm just used to seeing the little feeder fish at carnivals. I have no idea what sort of fish they are. xD I just know that I see hundreds stuffed into rather small tanks. Makes me sad, really :(

Do they require the same accommodations as the big fat goldfish that I'm thinking about?

Last edited by inareverie85; 04-06-2012 at 08:51 AM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #14 
Mo

Those are most likely rosy red minnows, which can easily fit In a 15 gallon tank, this tank could accommodate around 6
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #15 
Luimeril

most carnivals give away feeder goldfish, or common/comet goldfish. they're pretty much the same thing, and get HUGE. i won one as a little girl, and Ma put him in her 29 gallon. he lived 11 years, grew to be over a foot long, but i can tell you now that i know, that tank was WAY too small for Goldy. he didnt' have much swimming room, and lived with a pleco. way over stocked tank was way over stocked.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

can you give us a picture of them? :) just so we all know it is for sure a goldie xD err....7 goldies =D

our carnivals don't have live animals for toys/prizes. They have a petting zoo. :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #17 
Luimeril

it's slowly becoming standard for carnivals to not give away live animals as prizes. in many areas, it's illegal. :I i once heard of someone who won an iguana from a fair! O_O
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

O_O I want an iguana. Not a carni one but... I've never heard of that! I mean in the pioneer days, the fairs gave away stuff like piglets, as prizes, but back then pigs and most animals were needed, and ones that weren't weren't had :) Except cats...but even they had a purpose >.>
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Hey Turquoise, Do you have a backyard? You could turn this into a fun pond prject if you wanted....But if they ARE minnows then you don't have to go through nearly as much trouble....
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

agreed minnows are not as bad....and not as messy!