Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

Exclamation Bird problems!

okay, i have two cockatiels (male and female), they are not friendly either. so i cannot touch them unless they fly out the cage, and they barely do. i heard of the touch training, i know what to do, but the birds don't even want to touch the tip of the stick, they go to the farthest side of the cage, it aggrevates me.
then a new issue, there beating each other up!!! it is mostly the male picking on the female. i don't know what to do, i don't know if that's why there afraid of me or what. and then when there seperate, they scream like crazy!! they look at me as if am supposed to do something, i don't know what to do!! these birds are cray-cray but am still giving them all the patience and all still, though how hard it is. can you just tell me how to make them stop beating each other up? i know i chose to getting a bird, i wanted a SINGLE bird, my parents gave me two. gaahh!!
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 
registereduser

where did they get the birds? If from a good breeder they should be there for you if you need guidance. If they were from a big box pet store then I suggest you join a club (4-h?) in your area with people who understand birds and they can help you. Research the internet for local bird help, there must be a bird groomer near you or a vet who specializes in exotics. Call them.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well if they don't want to be separated you shouldn't do that.. I think maybe they are having space issues and might need a bigger cage where they can get privacy from each other when they need to.
Also, it can take up to a year for them to get used to you.. They aren't exactly super loving pets, you have to earn it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

i got them from craiglist, and the seller said she had them for a year, now you know why they hate me. but i still don't understand why there trying to kill each other. and i'll PM you the some other things. and whats a club? if you mean forum, i'll think about it.

and i don't seperate them, the male climbs out the cage to sit on top of it, and they start screaming like crazy, it's driving my family insane (am getting used to it, just gets aggravating in a while)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Says you are from Chicago. A bird club is basically, a club lol, that meets, and is full of people with years of experience that would be more than willing to help you out. Here's one in Chicago: http://www.gccbc.org/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i don't want to pay membership, i'll ask copper
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i got them from craiglist, and the seller said she had them for a year

and i don't seperate them, the male climbs out the cage to sit on top of it, and they start screaming like crazy, it's driving my family insane (am getting used to it, just gets aggravating in a while)
Now you know why the craiglist person wanted to get rid of them.

Birds are noisy and dirty. Most exotic birds do not stay in the same home forever, they get passed from owner to owner to owner. I feel sorry for them.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #8 
meve

I have 6 parrots for 5 years now and I had many behaviors issues with them. First, birds are really intelligent and they have the behavior of a pray wich is totally different from a cat or a dog. They love company and they NEED it. If they scream, there is a reason and you have to observe them to understand why. I have a cockatiel second hand just like yours and he screams, but in specific moments. They are like kids, they need a routine, at least 12 hours a sleep and toys.

i have two cockatiels (male and female), they are not friendly either.
Cockatiels are from the same family as cockatoo. Theyre know to beat the female to death. Separate them! I had a couple of green cheeks conures. They were friends, but not a couple. The male was mad about it and used to chase the female from the food dishes and plucked her head. I let them played out of the cage when I was able to supervise them or be together in the same cage for few hours. THey had 2 separate cages for the night which where side by side.

but the birds don't even want to touch the tip of the stick, they go to the farthest side of the cage, it aggrevates me....i don't know if that's why there afraid of me

This technique is used to train the bird, but they need a motivation! FOOD! Usually we do that to have fun with your pet bird, to learn tricks. PLus, NEVER EVER go get a bird in his cage. THis is HIS territory, his SECURITY. LEt him decided when he wants to get out and they reward him with a treat like millet spray. Talk to him gently, dont move fast forward him, just sit there and let him get use to you. It coult take a year or more to tae a bird who had bad experience with a human... It took me 3 years with my African Grey. WIth some birds, you'll never be able to pet him or hold him. You have to respect that. There are many ways to interact with your birds beside touching. Talking to them, dancing, singing, mimicing moves and noises are some of them.

then when there seperate, they scream like crazy!!
When you separate them, you take out their security. They feel safe together but CANT live in the same cage. HOw big is their cage? Like I said before, 2cages side by side and play time out of the cage probably will fix it. Plus, for the screaming, one side of their cage should have a wall or something behind it to make a closed space. If all the 4 sides are wide open, its really scary for them. Look where is their cage. Is too busy their? Not much privacy? Windows with scary wild birds? A dog or a cat? To dey have a routine regarding of the wake up and bed time? Do you feed them enough? How is their water? Bird love to play and put stuffs in their water dishes.

and i don't seperate them, the male climbs out the cage to sit on top of it, and they start screaming like crazy,
THe male is telling you to let her out!

i don't want to pay membership
What esle you dont want to pay for?? Birds cares are EXPENSIVE if you want to do it RIGHT. Did you buy any toys? Are your birds on pellet or seeds? DO you have a cage big enough for that type of bird?
At least, go on BIRDCHANNEL and read articles there...you can also subscribe to BIRD TALK magazine which is cheap for US member.

good luck! You can ask me more question if you want, i will do my best to help you, but especially your birds...
meve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #9 
betta lover1507

okay here some answers:
i could talk to my mom about cages, find a cheap one. i don't know exactly how big it is, going to find a measuring tape. and i don't put my hands in the cage, when they sit on the edge of the cage door thing, then they run in. and yes i don't seperate them, they seperate them selves, and the door is always open when am in the room, the female doesn't like coming out, she stays in the cage, she starts screaming too.
they came with toys, i bought them a cuttle bones (there's 2 of them in there), i added wood, i clean the cage daily. there on seeds. i was thinking of just joining a "forum". i only had them for like 3 weeks now, all i wanted answer was how to make them stop fighting, and i found the answer already, so thanks.
also the seller got rid of them because she was busy, her boyfriend and her where thinking about getting married and all, stuff like that. she said they where nice, i guess there just afraid and not used to me yet. and yeah i have a cat but she sits there and hopes for one to fly out (never actually happens though), i kick her out though, my dog ignores the birds, and loves when my window is open only.

Last edited by betta lover1507; 04-07-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i was thinking of just joining a "forum".
Don't get upset if the forum experts seem to be yelling at you. That's how it is in forums these days. This fish forum is pretty good about it, but sometimes the words on the screen seem harsher than they really are.

Just keep asking questions and ignore the harsh sounding comments and take the advice as it comes. They all love birds and want the best for them even if they can't express themselves in the kindest way.