Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
LuckyBlue

Cleaning home

I have my first Betta. I have a two gallon tank with a heater that is keeping the water at 80. When I go to change the water, how much should I take out. Also, can I microwave the new water so it will be at 80 before adding it? Or should I put him in a bag with his old water and let it float in the new water before releasing him. I'm using purified drinking water. Thanks for the help.
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm not sure how much you should take out. :/
I do know that drinking water isn't good for bettas and other aquarium fish. Tap water with water conditioner is best, as drinking water lacks some of the minerals they need.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 
ZergyMonster

Yup you are going to want to use tap water with a water conditioner. Prime is a good conditioner. As for water changes you are going to want to do a 50% water change once a week and a 100% water change on the same week. My schedule for water changes is: Wednesday or Thursday 50% and Sunday 100%

Always be sure that you try to get the new water about the same temperature (within 2 degrees) so that you don't shock your fish. And be sure to acclimate your fish by floating him for at least 15-30 minutes while adding water to his bag/cup to get him used to the water chemistry.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
LuckyBlue

I live in the country and have artesian well water, however it has a tanin cleaner and softener so I didn't feel safe using it as I don't use it for my birds or my plants.

I do have the conditioner already and used it with the drinking water just to be safe. What about purchasing spring water. Would that work?

If anyone can help quickly...as I'm off to the store and needing to get water for a change today..

By the way.. he seems very healthy,, made a little bubble nest and is swimming and following me around and eating well. thanks again.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I believe spring water is also not great as it lacks essential minerals for fish. Maybe if you tried half spring water, half dechlorinated well water? I'm not an expert on stuff like that, though. PM Myates would be my suggestion.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #6 
LuckyBlue

I guess I can take a couple of water containers and get some city tap water at work tomorrow... I'm afraid to use my own water without knowing for sure if it will be ok... thanks for the help
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 
gbose

Change 80% of the water at a time. Initially twice a week, then weekly. Use warm tap water (with dechlorinator)

And don't worry too much. This isn't so hard.

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I thought it was one 50% and one 100% a week?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning tank, warm water, water change