Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Injured bird..

A little downy woodpecker flew into our window a few minutes ago.. he's still alive.. I got some gloves and brought him into our "quiet room" where I always keep a crate covered with a blanket set up (we get birds semi frequently). Usually we'd take him to the wildlife rescue, but it's over half an hour away and my parents just don't want to, considering it's holidays and they're very busy.
I put a little perch in, and took down out suet feeder and put it on the ground for him..
I can't see much damage on him.. He was laying there panting, his bill isn't damaged. He can turn his head, but it kinda looks like it's stuck on an angle most of the time. Does he sound like he'll be okay? He was still flapping around when I caught him.. I'm hoping he's just in shock.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 
Laki

:< Aw, how sad!!

I hope he makes it. I wonder if he has brain damage or internal bleeding though from the impact. I found a small yellow bird once who had recently died from impact. He wa lifeless and couldn't see any blood except a tiny dab in his beak. I don't mean to scare you!

This happens more than occasionally? I wonder if you put stickers or something on the outside of the windows if they'd not be confused by it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Not them flying into our window, just in general.. I find birds with broken wings and bring them home, and they go to the rescue.. One time we found a dove that got caught in freezing rain and was frozen to the driveway, he was fine after 3 days though and we let him go..
I guess I just have to wait it out, I'm not that hopeful for him, he's pretty unresponsive to any noise I make. At least he can just be in a quiet place for a few hours. :/
Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 
Laki

Aw, poor thing. At least you're there for them :( Birds are so nice!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
Luimeril

keep things quiet, try not to bother him too much. Monday, call the rescue and see if they can't pick him up. or, call them now and see.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Alright, good idea I'll call when I get home.
He seems MUCH better now, I went in to give him water and he was turning his head in every direction looking at me, no problem. He's pretty alert, but I think it's weird that he has no fear, he's probably still in shock somewhat. I'm hoping he just needs some time. And don't worry, he's in my designated "wild bird room" (aka a storage room no one uses).
I mixed him a half dose water sugar mix, 8:1 (woodpeckers LOVE sugar water, they use my oriole feeder), I'm hoping the sugar might givd him a little boost. Should I try syringe-ing the water in his mouth tonight, just in case?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Will you guys believe he squeezed through 1 inch cage bars? O-O I have NO clue how he got out, but the cage door is still locked, he's asleep on the window sill. I want to put him back but what's the point if he'll just squeeze out? ugggh. At least he's fit if he managed to get up 6 feet.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
Jessicatm137

Poor thing. How's he doing now? Do you have another cage to put him in or are you going to let him be lose?
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For now I'm just going to wrap a blanket around it really tight.
He's really sleepy. All he does is sleep. I probably would too if I ran into a window.
I'm guessing the only reason he survived is because woodpeckers have extra thick shock proof skulls for pecking wood.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh man. He is showing no more signs that anything happened. Flew up 8 feet, and he's climbing all over the cage, sideways upside down, showing off that he's good to go. Also bit the gloves when I caught him, got his sense of logic back.
Woodpeckers. They peck trees. I think I may release him tomorrow.