Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #41 
Sakura8

Guys, I'm only going to say this once: don't add fuel to the fire. If you don't like what someone posts, just ignore it. We'll take care of it.

Now my two cents: A shallow rubbermaid is still better than a tiny cup.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #42 
MrVampire181

I really think the forum needs to be a little less concerned about offending somebody and a little more concerned about facts.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #43 
wickedrodent

No offense - but could you just stop posting in this thread? You don't like them. Okay. Good. There's no real reason why they shouldn't be used as far as I've heard. I'm liking it so far. Matter = resolved.

My only question at this time is about heaters for this size tank (would love more suggestions). Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #44 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrodent View Post
My only concern at this point is the. Trying to get the holes large but not too large.
if you intend on doing this again with something you consider keeping, get some graph paper and tape it on the lid then drill at the points where the lines intersect.

i had to drill the bottom of my laptop because it had fake air vents and my laptop was overheating during gaming.

I did it this way and it looked very professional
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #45 
wickedrodent

I'm not too worried about it looking professional, TBH.

I forgot to mention that I've used storage bins before as Hamster cages. They're definitely not made for "storing crap". They made the best hamster cages in the world - actually. Which is the reason I went for them when I was looking for a new tank. They're sturdy little things and I love the variety you get in sizes.

Hamster cage, just as an aside:

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #46 
TakoLuLu

I've always used a similar setup as travel accommodations for ferrets. Easy to clean out, lightweight, not noisy in the car like a metal cage, lots of perks!
TakoLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #47 
wickedrodent

Never thought about them for ferrets (we have two)! Might look into making a carrier for them as they tend to chew up the store bought ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #48 
bettalover2033

Quote:
No offense - but could you just stop posting in this thread? You don't like them. Okay. Good. There's no real reason why they shouldn't be used as far as I've heard. I'm liking it so far. Matter = resolved.

My only question at this time is about heaters for this size tank (would love more suggestions). Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
As I have suggested before...(not on this thread though) go 3-5 watts per gallon so for 5 gallons I would look for a heater that is 25 watts. If you can't find one that small go with 50 watts. It's best to go with something that's going to do more than something that is not enough.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #49 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Thanks Tako, that's what I figured.

Getting the tanks set up in a bit for my two new guys. Unfortunately my heater crapped out on me so I need two new ones instead of just one.

Can anyone recommend a good heater for a 3-5 gallon and one for a 10 gallon? I don't mind if it's online or in a store. Would appreciate something less expensive since the expensive ones I've been buying tend to die. :-/

Might make a separate thread for heater questions.
I know people have bashed this heater before here, but I've been using this one for over a year in a 5 gallon and two 2 gallon tanks. It keeps the water a steady 78o F when the ambient room temp drops on rare occasions. I also have used it successfully in a little less then a gallon bowl I use for quarantine and medicine treatment if they get sick. (/come home sick from pet store.) The heater is not adjustable so it would not be good for raising a tank above 78. They go on sale for around 10 dollars a few times a year.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008 (10 watt)

I LOVE your tub setup btw. What kind of filter are you going to put in there? and can you link to the box size you settled on please? (for Betta not ferret carrier) ;)

As a side note, If anyone is interested in upgrading their tanks watch Petco, I missed the sale last time, but they put all of their All Glass tanks up for $1 a gallon. (10 gallons and above, their 5 gallon tanks and under are normal price during the sale.)

The fish manager I talked to there told me the sale happens a couple times a year. I am going to pick up a 55 gallon tank when the sale rolls around this next time. ;)

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 04-07-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: not for ferret carrier
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #50 
wickedrodent

I'm actually going to be getting a large number of bettas (7 more) between now and my wedding in August to be used as centerpieces at my short reception. (another hot button topic - I got it safely worked out. If you feel the need to discuss this further please do so via message opposed to this thread).

Anyhow - that's one reason I'm doing the sterilite tanks. I'm gonna try my hand at rigorous water changes rather than a filter since the tanks are so small. After filling it, it's closer to 3-3.5 I would say. I do have a master test kit and a previously cycled tank (added some of that gravel) so hopefully I can keep the levels steady. I've done it before in a smaller tank.

ETA - oh. And 4 of the bettas will be going home with my coworker after the wedding. She's had tons of bettas before and already has a lot of supplies. I'll send the bins too, just in case she decides to keep those. I'm definitely going to get the other 7 a few weeks before the wedding to make sure they're healthy and acclimated.
Posted via Mobile Device