Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
underdebate

Ick, or maybe just Paranoid Owner Syndrome

So today I brought home two new boys (both were semi-rescues from Petsmart). Boy 1 appears to be doing well, aside from a bit of shyness, but it looks like I might have a bit of.. SOMETHING on my hands with Boy 2.

Attached is a picture. My first instinct was that he had ick-- that's what I thought when I saw him in the shop-- but I've never dealt with ick before, or any other bacterial infection for that matter. He appears to have white flecks around his head, and his gills are reddish, but I haven't had him long enough to be able to tell whether that's normal or not. Besides that he's been lethargic (but.. again, new fish, new environment), kind of listless, and didn't have much of an interest in his food. It sort of seems like he's rubbing his face against things too, but I can't be certain.

There are better pictures of the hospital tank I've got him set up in over here. The water is to be changed daily and I've been adding 0.5 tsp of aquarium salt, as per package instructions. I'd prefer not to use medicines, but I have Maracyn I/II on hand if it comes to that.

I don't know, guys! Opinions here would be great. I'm sort of stumped. Should I give him a few days?
Attached Images

underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
lilyth88

The not eating could possibly be because you just got him. Typically bettas stress out for the first few days and refuse to eat. Note I said typically, not always. Make sure you don't do the AQ salt for longer than 10 days.

Personally I don't see signs of ick, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 
underdebate

I'm hoping he starts perking up soon-- I think I'm just worried because he seems listless and is clamping a little. Then again, the other boy I brought home has been skittish too, so I'll see how things go.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdebate View Post
I'm hoping he starts perking up soon-- I think I'm just worried because he seems listless and is clamping a little. Then again, the other boy I brought home has been skittish too, so I'll see how things go.

You could try a bit of AQ salt.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote