Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 
Mo

Opinions On This Pair?

Hello, I was Wondering your thoughts and breeding them. If the fry will turn out favorable or not worth in spending the money towards a breeding program
The Female

The Male
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 
Mo

Are cups okay to keep aggresive males inwith x1-x2 daily 100% water changes. Until I can obtain a one gallon for each
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

90L is fine for grow out.

When it comes to breeding VTs what are your goals? Are you trying to create a line?

Personally they have exactly what I like to see in VTs. Great fin and form on both.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I would personally try and avoid using a male VT with red wash. It is usually a fairly undesirable trait and difficult to get out of your line. Plus the market is saturated with average blue with red wash VT males already.

I don't mind the female, and her colouring is nice (I am fond of grizzled type patterns). Since she's a VT and I'm assuming pet store bought, her genetics are going to be a grab bag of colours.

I would personally find a different male. It's hard to judge the female's form, but try and find something that physically makes up for the areas she lacks. I am no expert, but her dorsal looks fairly thin and anal a bit long and unbalanced. Her topline may be a touch too dippy but it's difficult to see.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #5 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I would personally try and avoid using a male VT with red wash. It is usually a fairly undesirable trait and difficult to get out of your line. Plus the market is saturated with average blue with red wash VT males already. Okay. I understand, I dont have any other males for breeding though, as I have a blind one, and one that is tailbiting

I don't mind the female, and her colouring is nice (I am fond of grizzled type patterns). Since she's a VT and I'm assuming pet store bought, her genetics are going to be a grab bag of colours.

I would personally find a different male. It's hard to judge the female's form, but try and find something that physically makes up for the areas she lacks. I am no expert, but her dorsal looks fairly thin and anal a bit long and unbalanced. Her topline may be a touch too dippy but it's difficult to see.Okay. Thanks for your concern, I will avoid breeding then for the reasons you provided, thanks anyways
:)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 
Luimeril

nothing wrong with breeding them. if there was any reason other than color, to NOT breed them, Mr. V would have said something. i think it'd be interesting to breed them. you never know what kinds of colors they'll throw out.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #7 
Mo

So, should i go along with breeding them Or should I not attempt to breed them. Usually Mr.V is very throurough qith his information so when he commented that they has very great finnage and body shape i was confident, but as soon as littlebettafish pointed out those mistakes I changed my mid about breeding so, whats everybody elses opinion. so far its 1 No, and 2 Yes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

LittleBettaFish made some good points on the dips in the head but they weren't bad enough for me to mention.

With VTs you're going to get a ton of mixes of colors. You may get two orange fish from the batch and end up creating a line of orange VTs. It depends on what you want.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 
Mo

I am aiming for no appellant color, yet to create a line of differential, maybe blue marbles. With the red wash, I wouldn't expect red to be a color problem
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

I like a little mystery in breeding (note I have never bred) and although I have seen a lot of blue betta's with redwash I do kinda like it. If your doing it for show I don't think it's desirable but what do I know about shows? I say yes.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote