Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #21 
bettalover06

Thank you ALL for your wonderful feedback.

Questions:
1) Can you explain what you mean by cycle?
2)Is it helpful to add small amount of "salt" to the water, they say it supposed to help maintain healthy fins and help with digestion? Is this true?
3) I brought "Ammonia and PH detector that stick to the wall of the tank, is this accurate? Or are the strips much better? Honestly I don't see it make it indicator or anything? High/low etc.
4) I notice that the fins of my blue Betta is tangle? I'm not sure if his sick or his biting his tail. I tried to take a pic of it but he runs away.
5) I have a 10G tank, I wanted to buy bubble wand to help create oxygen bubbles to help my two boys, they said it would help circulate the water and improve oxygen. Is this true? Or is this just " SAYING" ?

Thank you ALL once again ^_^
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #22 
finnfinnfriend

Okay let me lay it straight for you:

Some people are ridiculous......A betta alon does NOT need 10 gal or more.....Two gallons is perfectley safe....But try for 3 gallons if you wanna be extra safe. Do a 50% water change once a week (with a gravel vaccum) and he will be perfectly happy.

I am all about treating animals right. Animals are my one true passion. But IMHO some people go way too overboard.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #23 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover06 View Post
Thank you ALL for your wonderful feedback.

Questions:
1) Can you explain what you mean by cycle?
2)Is it helpful to add small amount of "salt" to the water, they say it supposed to help maintain healthy fins and help with digestion? Is this true?
3) I brought "Ammonia and PH detector that stick to the wall of the tank, is this accurate? Or are the strips much better? Honestly I don't see it make it indicator or anything? High/low etc.
4) I notice that the fins of my blue Betta is tangle? I'm not sure if his sick or his biting his tail. I tried to take a pic of it but he runs away.
5) I have a 10G tank, I wanted to buy bubble wand to help create oxygen bubbles to help my two boys, they said it would help circulate the water and improve oxygen. Is this true? Or is this just " SAYING" ?

Thank you ALL once again ^_^
Don't worry about a "cycle" for one betta.
Aquarium salt helps when he is sick....otherwise it could actually cause problems in the long term.
Test strips every once in a while are fine.
If all his tail is there dont worry. Just let him settle in. If his fins look like they are rotting away use aquarium salt and/or ethromycin (petsmart)
Betta fish do NOT need airation or bubblers....
If you divinde the 10 gallon and put them in there they would be thrilled
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm assuming that since it's two males they are divided, giving them each 5 gallons.
1) Cycling is a process that involves bacteria growing in your filter. You shouldn't change you filter cartridge out ever, if you have multiple sections in it, usually the sponge is the one you want to keep in all the time. Since the fish are in there, you are doing a fish in cycle.. I'd do a 50% change every week for a few months, then reduce it to 30% a week.
2) No. Never use table salt. Aquarium salt is useful, but you can only use it 10 days in a row max, so it's best for when a fish is sick. If your boys have some fin issues feel free to do a 1 teaspoon/gallon treatment on them for no longer than 10 days.
3) I hear that these things aren't that accurate. Strips aren't that great either. A liquid test kit is the best to use. You should have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests.
4) Veil tail fins can sometimes look tangled, or crinkled. Mine has this and is fine. Fin rot would mean that his fins are falling apart, tail biting he'd be missing big chunks out of his tail.
5) It is true. But betta don't need oxygen from water, they breathe it from the air. So not needed for betta. You can buy one if you want, but it does stress out some betta fish, they prefer calmer water.
:)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #25 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'm assuming that since it's two males they are divided, giving them each 5 gallons.
1) Cycling is a process that involves bacteria growing in your filter. You shouldn't change you filter cartridge out ever, if you have multiple sections in it, usually the sponge is the one you want to keep in all the time. Since the fish are in there, you are doing a fish in cycle.. I'd do a 50% change every week for a few months, then reduce it to 30% a week.
2) No. Never use table salt. Aquarium salt is useful, but you can only use it 10 days in a row max, so it's best for when a fish is sick. If your boys have some fin issues feel free to do a 1 teaspoon/gallon treatment on them for no longer than 10 days.
3) I hear that these things aren't that accurate. Strips aren't that great either. A liquid test kit is the best to use. You should have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests.
4) Veil tail fins can sometimes look tangled, or crinkled. Mine has this and is fine. Fin rot would mean that his fins are falling apart, tail biting he'd be missing big chunks out of his tail.
5) It is true. But betta don't need oxygen from water, they breathe it from the air. So not needed for betta. You can buy one if you want, but it does stress out some betta fish, they prefer calmer water.
:)
+1
Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #26 
bettalover06

Love ALL the feedback's ^_^

@ FFF thanks for that info, that help a lot. I will apply this suggestions next time. I feel much comfortable knowing that. By the way what is IMHO?

@ Olympia, yes it is a divided tank, I have 2 VT males. The red VT seems to be growing new fins, but the Blue seems to have a longer tail, just seems tangled. I wish I could show you a pic, but he avoids my cam whenever I try to take a pic of him. I really hope its not fin rot :(( I will buy API test kits on the weekend.

Any suggestion for proper tank temp??

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #27 
Micho

Shoot for 78F ~ 82F, Bettas are tropical fish!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #28 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover06 View Post
Love ALL the feedback's ^_^

@ FFF thanks for that info, that help a lot. I will apply this suggestions next time. I feel much comfortable knowing that. By the way what is IMHO?

@ Olympia, yes it is a divided tank, I have 2 VT males. The red VT seems to be growing new fins, but the Blue seems to have a longer tail, just seems tangled. I wish I could show you a pic, but he avoids my cam whenever I try to take a pic of him. I really hope its not fin rot :(( I will buy API test kits on the weekend.

Any suggestion for proper tank temp??

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
IMHO is short for "in my honest opinion" :)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #29 
Bombalurina

I've always heard it is "In My Humble Opinion." After all, why would you be giving an opinion if it isn't honest? :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well if you're saying it's honest, it could be something harsh.
Not really the circumstance though xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta care tips