this should be a sticky, just saying
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #12 
Mars788

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
this should be a sticky, just saying
Agreeeeee!
Also, I feel exactly the same way about the "it's just a fish!" remark. Whenever I hear the fire alarm go off (which has been frequently this year due to imbeciles not knowing how to cook popcorn...) I grab my keys, my debit card....then my fish. One in a kritter keeper, the other in a walmart cup. I've had Dol too damn long to have any desire to see either him or Morpheus die in a fire. This usually gets odd looks from other residents of my building, but I'm not really concerned with their opinions.
And the whole 24/48 hour rule..that's a big SMH. I saw that in the instruction manual for a new tank, debated following it for a minute or two...then just ignored it. Don't all new tanks just need a rinsing with hot water?
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

If they were "just fish"I'd keep them in the cups they came in.

But I don't. because they're living creatures.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Another one that gets me is the "3 second memory" one.
My friend that was driving me home when I got reuben wouldn't shut up about that.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Mine have a longer memory. I think people get it confused with ATTENTION SPAN. Now most of my bettas proved to me they have a short attention span some 10 seconds, some a couple minutes, some a few seconds

But memory? Mine remember color (yellow and green lid = food), people, The Evil Net, etc
Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 
bahamut285

^ That's not memory either, that's just primitive association.

I like this list, Bombularina, a lot of people also fall for the one Luimeril posted as well.

In my experience the most common ones I hear are the "only grow to tank size" "He's lonely" ones from my parents XD

EDIT: OH, my parents also think for some reason that once you fill up an aquarium, you have to keep water in it or else the sealant won't work effectively anymore. I didn't know they thought that until recently, no wonder why I was never allowed to purchase/obtain used tanks -_-
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

I've heard the "he's lonely" from my mom and I reminded her that some bettas chow down on other fish's faces :/
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #18 
MrVampire181

Here's some. I may get some hate for this buuuuttt....

Flaring is stressful. Bettas don't need interaction.

Flaring is only bad if it gets to the point the males are ripping fins. Since I keep mostly plakats I don't usually have this issue. I had an in depth discussion with transhipper and judge Linda Olson about "carding" bettas. She did experiments awhile back and concluded bettas are social creatures and communicate in their own ways (flaring). Generally flaring only lasts a few days between neighbors until the next water change. If you do card and flare your bettas it will give them an ego boost so to speak. They flare and then BAM the enemy is gone.... the males think "I'm awesome, I scared him off...".

*prepares for hate PMs/angry members D:*
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

Here's a good one I learned at walmart from a woman working in pets. They got in a shipment of bagged fish. She forgot about them sitting in their release tanks in the bags for like.... over an hour. She went around and shook the bags vigorously. I looked at her funny and she says, "I'm doing this to circulate the oxygen in the bag." My response is, "no your stressing them out and circulating the ammonia"
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #20 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Here's some. I may get some hate for this buuuuttt....

Flaring is stressful. Bettas don't need interaction.

Flaring is only bad if it gets to the point the males are ripping fins. Since I keep mostly plakats I don't usually have this issue. I had an in depth discussion with transhipper and judge Linda Olson about "carding" bettas. She did experiments awhile back and concluded bettas are social creatures and communicate in their own ways (flaring). Generally flaring only lasts a few days between neighbors until the next water change. If you do card and flare your bettas it will give them an ego boost so to speak. They flare and then BAM the enemy is gone.... the males think "I'm awesome, I scared him off...".

*prepares for hate PMs/angry members D:*
I completely agree. I let Odysseus flare for 5 minutes at his mirror to exercise his fins and so I can check for rips etc, then take it away. It does encourage his bubblenesting, I find, but I would never leave the mirror in.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote