Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #31 
bettalover2033

They look so adorable! The fry at 0:07 really ate good. Nice big belly on it. They are developing so well!

How many spawns have you had? Basicially asking, are you a beginner (or many other spawns?)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #32 
vilmarisv

Thanks! They are a little on the small side for 5 weeks but they should catch up soon.
I've had a few spawn over the years, maybe 10? I'm not sure. I only recently started to document my spawns. I use the best fish I can get my hands on for my spawns because I believe in improving their form, not breeding for the sake of breeding.
Do I consider myself a newbie? Absolutely
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #33 
bettalover2033

Glad to hear a more honest response. Instead of the cocky-like attitude lol;)

Well im sure this spawn will be great. Also I believe in impoving the species as well. Of course I admit I never really understood breeding bettas like I do now, but I think its better to have a quality pair to start off with and to know how to ship is one of the most essential parts of breeding.

Yeah, everyone makes mistakes, but when you are not being responsible, then it's kind of all on the breeder..

They look okay for their age, but just think of it as a lesson. I noticed that I learn something every time I breed.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #34 
vilmarisv

Thanks they are now in the stage of hanging at the surface for air.
I see a lot of that cocky-like attitude you mention in this forum. I've distanced myself from the site because of it.
I've had a few successful spawns and have reared fish to adulthood but I will never call myself an expert. It takes a lot to learn how to properly care for fry.
You do learn new things everyday with this hobby, even with keeping my adults I learn new things with each fish.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #35 
sparkyjoe

I'm constantly amazed by the beautiful fish I see on the forum and learn so much just reading the spawn logs. Of course I'm also appalled by those who aren't prepared, or think bringing tiny little lives into this world isn't a huge responsibility so they breed without thought to how they will raise the little ones or what they'll do with all those poorly bred fish.

I've become fascinated by the marble coloration and really would like to have one some day but I'll leave the breeding to those with a true calling.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #36 
bettalover2033

I have to agree. With ALL (the forum included). It's been crazy around here, but I have faith it'll pass soon or later.

I also won't give myself a title of "Expert" even when I get to 50 years of breeding lol. Its a great hobby, but IMO not for everyone. I think a true breeder is not one who is so caught up on profit. I see it everywhere, but glad its less on the forum. I felt so welcome when I first joined the forum. Now its been a struggle, but I dont contribute to all the idiocy and ignorance around.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #37 
MrVampire181

I can't stand people who think they're the best. If I come across as one I really don't think highly of myself especially when it comes to breeding. I'm not a newb but I'm not exactly an expert. I just answer and give recommendations using the knowledge I've gained over the past 3 1/2 years of spawning these fish (and I still do google searches on how to do breed and raise them... never enough reading can be done).

I'm not very tolerant towards unprepared n00bs (I was one... yeah I saw the jaws drop...) lol. I try to give them advice on how to start right (I failed epicly back when I started... multiple times at that...). If they ignore my advice they soon learn they should have listened to breeders who said to start right, suck up the cash, start with good fish, and follow advice given.

But anyway, I loved the video and subscribed. Keep the great work on these little guys :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #38 
vilmarisv

@ sparkyjoe: Agreed. Marbles are outstanding. You never know how your fish will turn out as they can change everyday. My male started as a pastel with patches of coloring and is now almost a full multi.

With breeding these fish the phrase "do it right or don't do it at all" definitely applies. I know I shock people when I tell them how much money is needed to start off with breeding but preparedness is very important.

I'm really hoping these kids do well and I get at least a true HM out of them.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #39 
bettalover2033

The method and just your personality (from what I can tell) shows a lot of how far you're willing to push to get these fish the best health possible in your hands.

I'm sure you'll get some awesome fry from this spawn. You were well prepared and are willing to do the responsible things to get yourself a good reputation and quality fish.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #40 
sparkyjoe

The sad part is that *I* probably know more about proper breeding & fry care by simply reading spawn logs than some of the clueless folks I've seen posting. Sigh.

How crazy is it that I can no longer pass by the aisle with large storage totes without thinking about how they could be used as aquariums! Yes, I'm a nut.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote