Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1 
Saphire

Post partum depression?

Question for you guys: is it possible for a betta to go throught post partum depression? My boy was spawned almost a month ago and he seen to be depressed. Prior to the spawn prep, he was in a bowl ( bout 1 gal) cuz his home was cycling. After the mating he was put in the tank. He was doing ok for a while but now just stays on the bottom. The only thing that has changed in that tank is the heater. We upgraded for a submersible and ajustable heater so the tank is a little warmer.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? air pump corner filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yep
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A few small snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flightless fruit flies, frozen brine shimp and bloodworms, the occasionnal betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 7 to 10 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? between 25 to 50 % depending on time since last change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, water is stored in 18l bottles 24h prior to change

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.5
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Only change is a white spot on lip
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He stopped hanging ut in the floating plants and stays either under the log or the filter. He still eats but is a lot less active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been going downhill for bout 14 days...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Incresed water changes at first. Put him in a smaller bow to see if he was just stressed by the larger habitat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 2 years old

Suggestions?
He looks more confortable in the bowl than he did in the actual tank... He's swimming around now, huffing and puffing at us.
Should we consider perharps separating the tank in two smaller compartments? Smaller less intimidating space?
They can be such tempermental little beasts... but i wouldn't trade him for the world!
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 
inareverie85

As much as we love to project human emotions on our fish, I do not think a fish can become "depressed". "Bored", perhaps, or even "upset" or "content".. But depression's a bit complicated for a fish. :P

Anyho, I'll leave this to the professionals :) Good luck in solving your problem!
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 
xjenuhfur

I've heard of a few fish from people on here where their fish didn't like the bigger tank and actually preferred to be in a small tank/bowl. Fish preferences I suppose.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
I've heard of a few fish from people on here where their fish didn't like the bigger tank and actually preferred to be in a small tank/bowl. Fish preferences I suppose.
This is correct. There are some fish who prefer smaller spaces over bigger ones, though this doesn't apply for the entire breed. IME, my HM boy prefers smaller tanks because he gets stressed out from all of the space in larger tanks that he starts to fin bite. :/
You might just want to try the 1 gal again (or even go to a 2-5 gal) and see how he does for a few weeks. Or it possibly might be that he's an older fish and just losing interest in things.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

Yes. Males can become "depressed" after removed from the spawning tank mainly because they had lots of activity and suddenly they don't know what to do. It's not normal for it to last that long but your male is on the older side and spawning requires a lot of energy.
Bettas personalities change over time and an active fish can become a mellow one regarless of it's surroundings. If you feel everything in his environment is ok, and he's free of illness then I wouldn't worry.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Also, I just realized that you said he's developed a "white spot" on his lip. Does it look like ick?
You might want to throw in some AQ salt just to be sure.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 
Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Also, I just realized that you said he's developed a "white spot" on his lip. Does it look like ick?
You might want to throw in some AQ salt just to be sure.
We did the salt addition yesterday when we put him back in the 1 gal bowl. He is more active today. His fins are all opened and he is huffing and puffing at anyone who approches the bowl.
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #8 
kfryman

Just saying leaving water over night will not get rid of chloramine, it only gets rid of chlorine. Slowly your fish may be getting poisoned, just saying as sitting it for 24 hours will not do squat to chloramine. I would get conditioner, unless your water company only adds chlorine to the water. Check their website to find it.

I think Mr. V would know more about it if he was spawned.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Yes. Males can become "depressed" after removed from the spawning tank mainly because they had lots of activity and suddenly they don't know what to do. It's not normal for it to last that long but your male is on the older side and spawning requires a lot of energy.
Bettas personalities change over time and an active fish can become a mellow one regarless of it's surroundings. If you feel everything in his environment is ok, and he's free of illness then I wouldn't worry.

^ this.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote