Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #1 
originalweaver

betta on side

my betta has been lying on his side of about 3 days, have checked ph a littlet low, can swim down but then floats back to the top. i had him in a tank with a divider with another betta when he started doing this, i then moved him inot a tank alone. what could be wrong with him?
originalweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 
dallops_of_polyps

he might have hurt his swimblader i am no expert but ummm sorry but it doesn't look good.
dallops_of_polyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #3 
King of Candlesticks

It might be a swim bladder problem... There might be medications for it.

I googled Swim bladder problem and here's what it said:

SYMPTOMS:
Bettas with a swim bladder disorder will have difficulty swimming, because their swim bladder (located alongside the spine between the belly and the tail) is either too short (causing them to not be able to swim horizontally) or it is swollen (causing them to float on one side). Double Tail bettas, because they have a shorter body, are especially prone to the “floaters” problem. In the case of a short swim bladder, the bettas will not be able to maneuver and swimming becomes so difficult, they prefer to just lay at the bottom, sliding on their bellies, which is why they are called “belly sliders”. And they do look like a pathetic bunch, at that point. :)

TREATMENT:
Bettas may recover on their own, but since overfeeding induces swimbladder disorders in most cases, the first thing to do is feed a lot less. Brine shrimp and too much of it is the biggest culprit, so if your bettas are bellysliding, stop the brine shrimp for a while and thereafter learn to have a more balanced diet, alternating brine shrimp with microworms or worms (depending on how old your bettas are). Do not kill a betta with a swimbladder disorder. It may recover on its own at any time, and is not suffering. Further more, the ailment is NOT contagious. To help the fish if it cannot eat, lower the water level. Adding some BettaZing to the water for a few weeks may not hurt either ;).

Good Luck,
Tony
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #4 
originalweaver

betta on side

he can swim for a while right side up then when he stops is when he goes on his side. where do i get the medication i might need for the bladder problem first time i have ever had any betta fish and they are beautiful i have a red one who is sick and and a gorgeous blue one. please help me, they are like my kids to me
originalweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #5 
King of Candlesticks

I'm sorry, I would check any local Pet Stores or Aquarium stores. If you have a PetsMart near you they would most likely have the medication.

Good Luck
Tony
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #6 
SST

BettaZing is a product that is only found online:

http://www.bettatalk.com/buy_supplies.htm#meds

He doesn't tell us what the ingredients are, though he references another product that is now not made anymore.

You'll find BettaFix or BettaRevive at the petstore, but it's highly unlikely that you need medication for this.

Here's another link with better information about swim bladder issues:

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/12/338/

It says most swim bladder issues are from overfeeding or constipation.

Before you go out and buy medication that you may not need, can you answer the following questions?

Can you tell us more about your tank? How big? Heated? Filter? Do you test the water? What are the results? How often and how much for water changes? How much and what type of food do you feed?
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #7 
tenpaull

i had the same problem a few weeks before, I tried fasting my betta and on the second day he recovered fully. I don't recommend to do this method for a long period of time though
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote