Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

The best way to get them to grow is a lot of good food and large daily water changes.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #22 
tpocicat

I see a little yellow on the fins, since yellow isn't one of the dominant colors, unless it's a marble, you can bet on the yellow staying at least.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #23 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
The best way to get them to grow is a lot of good food and large daily water changes.

Should i be more careful with this one during water changes? like take longer to acclimate? or can i just acclimate over roughly 30 minutes still? also can i use a 5.5 gallon tank with only about a gallon of water and still change it every day? or are 100% water changes in 1 gallon of water every day not enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I see a little yellow on the fins, since yellow isn't one of the dominant colors, unless it's a marble, you can bet on the yellow staying at least.
that would be so cool to have a marble :) i saw this beautiful one at petsmart yesterday. he was blue and white :) wanted to get him but didnt really have room. i couldnt resist this one though. ill keep posting pics as he gets older (assuming he does) to document the colors :) i do see some slight iridescence on his belly right around his pectoral fins :)
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #24 
jeffegg2

Cool

Live and frozen food is mostly for conditioning bettas for breeding. There is nothing wrong with dry food IF you can get them to eat it. Of course the frozen or live would be more tasty for the fish.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #25 
OMGemily

im slowly transitioning him to my water. filling up his cup slightly with Antiones tank water every 20 minutes or so. im not gonna put him in a tank tonight. its getting late and i have school tomorrow, but when i get home tomorrow ill be sure to switch everyone to their right homes :)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #26 
TheJadeBetta

I feed my baby betta...Frozen Blood Worms, Frozen Daphnia, and Frozen Cyclops. I also have started feeding him Dry Tetra Flakes. I take some tongs and hold them under water for a bit. The Daphnia and Cyclops I use a turkey baster.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #27 
OMGemily

he ate a crushed pellet! no problems at all :) didnt cough it up once :) i guess ill save the blood worms for Antione and when mystery babys mouth isnt so tiny
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That looks like a yellow-cellophane little guy - congrats. He's a bit thin for me though. But he'll fatten up soon with a great mom like you.

5.5g for him alone is very big. Filled to the top, plus a few live plants or a fliter, IMO you won't need that much water changes (though more is better) - but clean filters weekly. I have one in a 2g, half filled with plants and give 10-30% daily water changes (when sucking out gunk) and 50% weekly was adequate. Now it's fully grown at 4.5 months (4cm - body only). Just remember to siphon after feeding thus leftover food doesn't foul up the water.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #29 
NoahG

Are we going to start up a betting pool of what we think the sex, color, and fin type will be?

Haha, this is mostly to subscribe, but also I'm admittedly curious as well.

Fortunately my area Petco hasn't started selling "Baby Bettas," though some of their females are tiny. So small. But they're colored up.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #30 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
That looks like a yellow-cellophane little guy - congrats. He's a bit thin for me though. But he'll fatten up soon with a great mom like you.

5.5g for him alone is very big. Filled to the top, plus a few live plants or a fliter, IMO you won't need that much water changes (though more is better) - but clean filters weekly. I have one in a 2g, half filled with plants and give 10-30% daily water changes (when sucking out gunk) and 50% weekly was adequate. Now it's fully grown at 4.5 months (4cm - body only). Just remember to siphon after feeding thus leftover food doesn't foul up the water.
That would be awesome :) i always liked those! i thought his belly looked a little chubby (dont know if you can see it in the pictures) so i was gonna ask about it. i guess you just answered it though :) he made it through another night so im pretty excited :) i wasnt going to fill the 5.5 up all the way. maybe put 2 gallons in. thats what i did when Antione was sick. so ill go with your 10-30% daily schedule. then it will be easier to suck out the leftovers as well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
Are we going to start up a betting pool of what we think the sex, color, and fin type will be?

Haha, this is mostly to subscribe, but also I'm admittedly curious as well.

Fortunately my area Petco hasn't started selling "Baby Bettas," though some of their females are tiny. So small. But they're colored up.
haha that would be funny if we did X) im kind of hoping its a gir because ive never had a girl before but a male would be nice too. Ill definitely keep posting to keep everyone updated on his?her progress! my petco didnt have them listed on their price chart (they have variety but MAN are they expensive!) so i had to ask the fish lady there. she said theyve sold them before and the price used to be up but wasnt anymore. he was only 2$ so i got him :) thats be awesome if it turned out to be one of the more expensive tail types :)