Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

There are just so many options. What sort of combination are you looking for? Centrepiece+school? Just schoolers? Just a couple of unique fish?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
There are just so many options. What sort of combination are you looking for? Centrepiece+school? Just schoolers? Just a couple of unique fish?
Just a couple of unique fish or just one single specimen
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #13 
Bombalurina

Well, that gives you some fun options. :) You could have:
- a dwarf puffer tank
- A pair or trio of ADFs
- A pair or trio of killifish (I really like my fundulopanchax gardneri)
- A honey gourami
- 3-4 male Endlers Livebearers
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #14 
MinaMinaMina

FYI, not all fish in that list are advisable for tanks under 20g. Many of those fish are schooling fish, some needing larger schools that require more space. Many of those fish are very active fish, needing more swimming space than a 20g (or less) allows.
For example, many people think that because Neon Tetra are small that they can be kept in small spaces. This is not true, they need more swimming space than one might think and should not be kept in anything smaller than a 20g tank. Or, as another example, many people list a 20g tank as the minimum for a group of Bloodfin Tetra. But after having kept them myself and seeing their full size at maturity (more than 2", almost 2.5") and seeing just how active they are, I would never recommend they be kept in another less that a 3' tank, at bare minimum. Even more, Red Eye Tetra (Lamp Eye Tetra) get almost 3" and are just as active. They should never be kept in a tank under 3', preferably a 4' tank.
(You can click on the shaded names to read this site's recommendations on tank size.)
So... Just FYI.
MinaMinaMina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina View Post
FYI, not all fish in that list are advisable for tanks under 20g. Many of those fish are schooling fish, some needing larger schools that require more space. Many of those fish are very active fish, needing more swimming space than a 20g (or less) allows.
For example, many people think that because Neon Tetra are small that they can be kept in small spaces. This is not true, they need more swimming space than one might think and should not be kept in anything smaller than a 20g tank. Or, as another example, many people list a 20g tank as the minimum for a group of Bloodfin Tetra. But after having kept them myself and seeing their full size at maturity (more than 2", almost 2.5") and seeing just how active they are, I would never recommend they be kept in another less that a 3' tank, at bare minimum. Even more, Red Eye Tetra (Lamp Eye Tetra) get almost 3" and are just as active. They should never be kept in a tank under 3', preferably a 4' tank.
(You can click on the shaded names to read this site's recommendations on tank size.)
So... Just FYI.
Well that's why, once I decide what species I want, I'm going to research the particular species, just like I do with every pet I get.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

What about Long Fin Red Minor Tetra?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #17 
Jessicatm137

They would probably work, they are also called more commonly called the serpae tetra. ;)
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd keep that species only, I hear they are aggressive little buggers.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #19 
Jessicatm137

I agree with Olympia.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

In a 15-20 gallon tank, I would go for one of the Pseudomugil species. There are several species to choose from and some prefer soft water, while others prefer harder water and some even brackish.

I have honey blue-eyes and they are truly spectacular when displaying and sparring. If you want them to spawn, all you need to do is add a spawning mop or a handful of java moss, give them lots of live food (I do blackworms, grindals and BBS) and they will usually do the rest. They are egg eaters so you need to comb through daily and remove any eggs for artificial hatching.

In a tank that size I'd recommend a school of delicate, spotted or forktail blue-eyes depending on your parameters. Forktails and delicates are more suitable for harder water and higher pH, while spotted and honey blue-eyes do best in softer and lower pH water.

Here's a picture of a happy 'frisky' honey blue-eye male

You could also try a small school of Melanotaenia maccullochi might work in a 15-20 gallon tank. They don't grow very big, and the Skull Creek variety is absolutely stunning.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote