Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Question All I seem to be doing is confusing myself...

Seems like I decide and then am unsure of my decision. HOB vs internal. Haven't purchased any and just need to limit what I look at. Trying to figure out best filter options for:

1- a 10 gallon divided in half for 2 boys (currently in 2- 1.8 gallon whisper waterfall globes.)
What I really want to do is a v-shaped section in the middle, where neither of my boys are anywhere near the filter and heater. All that would be seen from the front is the 2 dividers together at the front and angled out at the back. WOULD THIS WORK? The filter also needs to not be bulky sized.

2- a 15 gallon sorority tank for 6 females, possibly a couple nerite snails and/or shrimp. None of which are purchased and won't be until their home is perfect. And that won't happen until boys are settled and happy in their new home.

I would prefer to move away from using carbon in any of my tanks. I have live plants, and none of them seem to be thriving in my current carbon only filter systems. Would also like to stick with possibly ones that have the same filter media for both. That way I can just buy bulk, if possible.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

I don't know why the angled tank dividers wouldn't work. I think I've seen someone else who divided their tank into three, with the center section just big enough for a filter and heater. Someone with more knowledge could give you more information.

As for the filter options, I *had* an internal filter, but woke up one morning and it was toast, so I went out and got an AquaClear 20 (for my 5 gallon). I went with this because it gave me the option to *not* load the carbon but rather I purchased a second packet of biological filter media, this was I don't have to run it with carbon unless I want/need to. Unfortunately this filter does have an outflow of several inches.

On one of my other 5 gallons I have a Marina i25 (I think that's the model), which is working well with bi-monthly rinses of the filter cartridge. The carbon now acts as more surface area for BB.

Just some options/info that I hope helps.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
What I really want to do is a v-shaped section in the middle, where neither of my boys are anywhere near the filter and heater. All that would be seen from the front is the 2 dividers together at the front and angled out at the back. WOULD THIS WORK? The filter also needs to not be bulky sized.
That's what I do and it works great, provides even heating and filter flow to both sides, as well as being attractive with no plumbing in the fish bays.

Also, having two dividers makes it more difficult for them to "go visiting." :-}
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
Twilight Storm

I'm a believer in Hydro Sponge filters. They don't look bad to me and can be hidden by decor if you wish. They have a bit of a nuclear reactor look to them. My Bettas love to sleep under or on the sponges. In a divided tank you would probably need one in each section, but a few of them can be run off of the same air pump.
Here's a decent article on sponge filtration:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....iltration.html

Anyway it was just a thought :) I know they aren't for everyone- but they're good things. :D I can't honestly say they aren't bulky compared to some other options.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I also have a 3-way divided 10 gal with just two boys. If you want to see pictures, you can look at them under the my aquariums tab under my name. My mother suggested doing the V-shape divider, but I was worried about the cutting and measuring. One of the reasons my tanks look so nice is the symmetry of them. I was afraid that with a V-shape I wouldn't be able to get it just right. If you are willing to do the cutting and measuring (took me a few hours to do the entire thing), then I say go for it.

As far as internal v external filters. I would get an internal bubble filter for your boys. I have them on all of mine and they are wonderful. Great filtration without the power of a typical HOB. Depending on how heavily you plan to plant your sorority I would also do a bubble filter there (they come in different sizes for larger or smaller tanks). Without heavy planting I would go with an AquaClear HOB. They are some of the best on the market and give you many options for filter media.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I have a cheap bubbler; it really helped me cycle my tank. I'd like to use it all the time but I can't stand the sound of the air pump. Wish there were a way to get it as quiet as my canister, submerged in-tank number.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote