Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Unhappy The Tailbiter Continues

So a couple weeks back we noticed that Paarthunax was starting to nibble on his fins. And one night he nawed pretty close to half his fin off. So I started treating him in the hospital aquarium with aquarium salt and a little bit warmer water, He was starting to get better....last night, he nawed some more. His fins were starting to show growth and now he's started back up. This is really just a vent session. I will be getting a 10 gallon aquarium to divide for him and Apollo, but lack of funds keeps me from getting it done all at one time. This is my only stressing point, right now....
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #2 
Luimeril

what size tank is he usually in? i never treat tail biters in any tank other than their own. how much decoration is in his tank? how much is in his hospital tank? can he see any other bettas?

i gave up on stopping my tail biters. if they bite, they bite. don't hurt them none. just makes them look ragged, but i don't keep them because i want pretty pets. if that were the case, i wouldn't have gotten Dante, who was an ugly dried-blood red and grey-brown when i saw him, or Scout, who was the tiniest, ugliest grey minnow-looking boy there. sometimes, they're HAPPIER when they bite off most of their fin. Ichi was. got more active after he chewed his fins down to look like a Crowntaill Plakat. so... i didn't do anything different to stop him. just kept his water clean.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Omelette used to be a -terrible- tailbiter when he lived in a 1gallon tank, even though there was a lot of activity around it. I moved up to a Petco Pet Keeper (12 bucks for a 3 gallon plastic kritter-keeper-like tank) and I put in a new silk plant, 6 sprigs of anacharis from the goldfish tank, a heater, an air pump, more gravel, a new mug hideout, and 3 ghost shrimp friends. They keep him entertained. Every week or so I switch around some decor so Omelette doesn't get bored. Every day for maybe 10 minutes I put a mirror in front of his tank so he can "battle" with the fish in the mirror. I'm glad he doesn't batter up against the tank walls. He only flares and goes wild swimming around.
I suggest you completely change up the tank decor and such. Maybe a few ghost shrimp if your fish isn't too aggressive (Omelette ate one of his ghost shrimp pals a few days ago). Good luck with your hard-to-sound-out-named-fish :) ♥
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #4 
lilyth88

Gandalf does that from time to time. I will probably be putting a couple more plants in his tank soon. Especially on the right side of his tank. That seems to be the problem area for him.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I had a couple tail bitters in my time, all were halfmoons minus one VT
Either try adding a new decoration or rearranging his tank, if he is bored. If he does it because his fins are annyoing him, there is nothing you can do to stop it other then make sure his water is clean and keep a lookout in case of fin rot.

Last night in a 20 minute time span, I had one VT totally shread his fins - he now looks like a crown tail. Aparently he does not like his reflection in the tank glass >.< either that or its the filter.
good luck

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I had a couple tail bitters in my time, all were halfmoons minus one VT
Either try adding a new decoration or rearranging his tank, if he is bored. If he does it because his fins are annyoing him, there is nothing you can do to stop it other then make sure his water is clean and keep a lookout in case of fin rot.

Last night in a 20 minute time span, I had one VT totally shread his fins - he now looks like a crown tail. Aparently he does not like his reflection in the tank glass >.< either that or its the filter.
good luck
Gandalf seems to love the current from his filter. I tried baffling it and then he just sits in front of where it was like.... The reflection is his issue, for sure. He just goes crazy in front of it.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 
JBosley

Good luck!

My Halfmoon Boy, Dragonfly, is biting his tail as well. I've moved him into a larger, warmer tank, re-arranged it, added a new plant and am planning on getting more decorations to see if that will help! It's a 5 gallon with NO filter, hoping his fins will re-grow
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote