Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #11 
MadameDesu

Maybe it's just me, but I think plants are a good alternative. I have 4 that I've all given names to - Edgar, Portia, Picard, and Wesley :P
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 
moodyt23

i would say fish, the cage filter and other supplies can be a bit pricey but when your all done itll be worth it i have a bichir and a couple other fish but i like it the best
moodyt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #13 
Silverfang

Pets aren't cheap. IF you aren't willing to spend the money needed to properly take care of them, stick with a pet rock or plant.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #14 
MadameDesu

Or a Marimo! Some people keep them as plant-pet hybrids.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

It really bugs me when people are demeaning to my passion for animals. of course no pets gonna be a one time investment but there are pets that are lower cost than others. I think some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously and show a little humility. I never look into getting a new pet with the "wrong attitude". I simply gave up on the idea of owning goldfish because they are very expensive to keep happy and healthy but I still want a companion so I want to know what might be a bit cheaper. Many of you are very helpful when answering my questions but I am greatly offended by the way you assume I am some ignorant animal abuser.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Pets aren't cheap. IF you aren't willing to spend the money needed to properly take care of them, stick with a pet rock or plant.
Excuse me but I find that statement very rude and assuming.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #17 
MadameDesu

I don't think anyone meant to be demeaning, and I'm sorry if I came across that way.
It makes more sense now that you mention the goldfish. If you had said "cheaper than a goldfish" instead of just "cheap", it would have been easier to understand what you were looking for.
Sorry!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #18 
sparkyjoe

Well, you might think about using more description when posting because unfortunately many folks on this forum are rather sensitive to the idea that betta's are considered "cheap" by much of the world, and are therefore disposable. And your original post gave no indication of a passion for anything other than saving money.

I've had two pet rats in my life and after paying a couple dollars for the rat I then had HUNDREDS invested in their care in the form of a home, litter, toys, food, and vet visits (yep, I took them to the vet when they got sick). They are wonderful critters, but many are prone to upper respiratory illness, oh, and cancer. Both of mine died from cancer. :(

Every animal has it's positives and negatives, and there are lots of inexpensive pets available these days from hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs, to fish, birds, etc. You might have better luck going to your local pet store and seeing what's available then posting to ask folks opinions.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
Well, you might think about using more description when posting because unfortunately many folks on this forum are rather sensitive to the idea that betta's are considered "cheap" by much of the world, and are therefore disposable. And your original post gave no indication of a passion for anything other than saving money.

I've had two pet rats in my life and after paying a couple dollars for the rat I then had HUNDREDS invested in their care in the form of a home, litter, toys, food, and vet visits (yep, I took them to the vet when they got sick). They are wonderful critters, but many are prone to upper respiratory illness, oh, and cancer. Both of mine died from cancer. :(

Every animal has it's positives and negatives, and there are lots of inexpensive pets available these days from hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs, to fish, birds, etc. You might have better luck going to your local pet store and seeing what's available then posting to ask folks opinions.
Yeah, apparently I won't be asking for opinions on this forum anymore because people like to give rude and assuming responses.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
I don't think anyone meant to be demeaning, and I'm sorry if I came across that way.
It makes more sense now that you mention the goldfish. If you had said "cheaper than a goldfish" instead of just "cheap", it would have been easier to understand what you were looking for.
Sorry!
Thank you. I can see now where the miss-communication happened. I did mean cheaper than goldfish :)