Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #31 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Do you mean parakeet as in small bird (what parakeet the word means) or parakeet as in budgie? I assume you mean Budgie. :)
Yes they do sleep at night, just put a cover over their cage when it is time to go to bed. Also, you should consider getting it a friend, birds are very social toward eachother. Sometimes when they are alone human companionship is not enough. You can get just one but keep an eye out for possible lonliness. :)
How about a cockatiel? They are fine alone and have the friendliness of budgies but easier training and not as skittish. Plus some you can teach to talk. I remember hearing a story from a friend who used to have one, the bird would land on his table and knock stuff off. When my friend would get mad and tell the cockatiel to stop the bird would say "no thanks, I love you". It was the cutest thing. lol
Yeah I meant budgie :). I think a cockatiel might be a little bit too pricey of a set up, since they are more expensive and need a bigger cage and all...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #32 
Aluyasha

Well you could always post a wanted bird ad on CL, then you might find a cheaper one. :)
If not, budgies are a great choice too. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #33 
Silverfang

I wasn't trying to be rude, but like others said, when one hears cheap, it brings up negative connotations. I've just seen so many examples of people either buying a cheap "tiny tank" for a betta. Or getting a cat and then just feed it. They don't take it to the vet, or get it fixed, or even keep it safe inside.

I was taught that if you can't take care of a pet, don't have one. My intention wasn't to be mean, I just didn't know if you would be willing to provide proper care when I saw "cheap".

As for advice beyond a fish or a cat, I can't help, the only pets I've ever owned.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #34 
MadameDesu

Yeah, the word "cheap" kind of sets off alarm bells, whether we mean for it to or not, hahaha
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #35 
sparkyjoe

So, FinnFinn, have you gotten any ideas? Are you going with budgie or are you gonna think about it some more?
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #36 
finnfinnfriend

Okay sorry guys, we all good now? :)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #37 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
So, FinnFinn, have you gotten any ideas? Are you going with budgie or are you gonna think about it some more?
I'm gonna think about it some more, but I think a budgie would be a nice little friend for me. They seem very affectionate and smart.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #38 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd say parakeet/budgie for something friendly and cheapish. They live a decent amount of time, but not crazy long like some bigger parrots.
Most mammals require spaying/neutering, except rodents (though it's nice to neuter boy rats lol) which can be expensive depending where you are. Rabbits and guinea pigs are a bad idea, I'd place their care costs closer to a dog or cat than a hamster, though set up, you'd do better with a large play pen (like for dogs) and a tarp than a tiny "rabbit" cage.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #39 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'd say parakeet/budgie for something friendly and cheapish. They live a decent amount of time, but not crazy long like some bigger parrots.
Most mammals require spaying/neutering, except rodents (though it's nice to neuter boy rats lol) which can be expensive depending where you are. Rabbits and guinea pigs are a bad idea, I'd place their care costs closer to a dog or cat than a hamster, though set up, you'd do better with a large play pen (like for dogs) and a tarp than a tiny "rabbit" cage.
Yeah I agree. I have been wanting guinea pigs but I cant afford to care for them exeptionally right now. I want a budgie :)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #40 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Join a budgie forum :D
It's probably like bettas, you'd learn a lot that you wouldn't even reading books.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote