betta fish
View Poll Results: Who gets to breed?
Patrick 4 16.67%
Black Beard 14 58.33%
Dizzy 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #21 
lvandert

Well after a couple days Black Beard just wasn't taking interest. No bubble nest, no wiggle no nothin. He built bubble nests in his other tank, grrr. And because I honestly think Dizzy might be too little I threw Patrick in there. No bubble nest yet but at the rate he was making them in the other tanks I expect a big one by the end of the day
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #22 
MrVampire181

Are you conditioning correctly? Two weeks of good food several times a day and large water changes.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #23 
lvandert

I do large water changes and lots of good food. Generally I let the fish tell me when their ready.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Some of my males will display two adjacent lines on their faceplates when they are ready, while others just make a large nest.

The last one I conditioned, I had him in 6 inches of water, heated to 80, live plants, fake plants, hidey hole, and did a variety of live, frozen, freeze dried and pellet foods Works a LOT better with variety diet, temperature, etc. I show them the female (glass bowl, tube, floating tub, etc), for about an hour or so then remove her and do it again later than day, and they usually make a nest. The next day I do it again, but this time having her in a breeder's net, and it usually gets him rallied up to breed

Take in mind some male bettas are just not breeders How old is Dizzy, do you think? Have you tried a different female? I have a few females, in case the first choice doesn't work out.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #25 
lvandert

Dizzy is probably 2-4 months. I've had him for 3-4 weeks (I think) I moved him into a bigger tank to grow out a bit. When I first got him he was a bit under 2 inches and now he's a bit over. I'm giving all of my fishies a break. I have one little baby from my VT spawn that I'm taking care of. And either once he dies or grows big and strong I'll try to breed again.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

well with that fry try having him in a cycled tank. It actually helps a great deal water changes, good foods... I think he'll do good =D

good luck for whenever you breed next!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #27 
lvandert

Thanks! I hope the little guy survives. It might be my fish, their not top quality, but I'm not breeding for show. I do have one decent female my sister bought me off of aquabid, but the fry isn't from her :P
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

well hey, most people breed some lovely pet store fishies. I finally got fish from edmonton, and not this store in town... and quality already SHOWS :o Breeding is hard, and hey, as long as you know what to do with extra fry you cannot keep go for it it's a learning experience, and if you have the patience it can work out!