Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #41 
Lindsey88

I read that females usually pass on their traits to the offspring more than males so maybe you will get some ct babies. I ordered some microworms off of ebay! I'm hoping to breed my fishies as soon as it arrives. My male is in his new 10 gallon tank right now and loving it. My male and female were donated to me by someone on another forum. I just had to pay for the shipping!

Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #42 
okiemavis

Have you got any pics of the babies? I'd love to see them!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #43 
willow

sorry i have not poped in to see the progress,
if you would like to continue with the updates i would be interested.
:)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #44 
tenpaull

February 24, Monday

Day 23 of the fry, they are looking SPECTACULAR! right on schedule on their growth :p
pectoral fins can be seen clearly and they look very cute when hunting for their food ;)
can't observe the other fins because i use a styro tank.
Growth is still not uniform. thinking if i will transfer the bigger fry to another tank so that the others can catch up before they die :p
competition for food plays a factor in growth

Was away for the weekend, asked our househelp to feed MW to the fry.
unfortunately, he did not understand the instructions clearly.

When feeding microworms, you should scrape the ones crawling up the sides of the culture container only. By doing this, one can prevent contamination of the rotting culture media when feeding the fry.

when i came back from my trip last night, I saw the water horribly cloudy and I immediately tried to clean it up. I siphoned the bottom of the tank with a nasal aspirator connected to an airline tubing with enough care not to suck up a few fries. Today monday, I siphoned it again as i can still see dead microworms clouding up the tank floor :( I topped-up the water everytime I siphon to keep the water level the same. With enough hard work I believe that the water is staring to clear up :D *whew* I really thought I needed to transfer them to another tank, as I already started cycling another tank as I came home last night. talk about paranoid :p But it's always better to be safe than sorry. Maybe I will start my 2nd spawn since the 2nd tank is already up and running :D. I'm am eyeing my PK pair and they seem to be ready and eager to spawn :D

That's all for this post :p
Comments will inspire me to write regularly haha! ;)

side note:
Started using a special mixture for my other bettas which were supposed to condition them properly for breeding. My 1st trial was great and the male immediately starting working on his bubble nest. Will wait for more trials to see if it really works. :D
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #45 
Stillwater

Hi Tenpaull,

Still watching for and enjoying the updates.

I have never seen a betta fry next to an accurate scale of reference. So was wondering, just how big(small) is a new born betta fry?
I am familiar with Fancy Guppy fry. How much smaller is an average new born (hatched?) betta fry compared to a new born guppy fry?
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #46 
willow

i:m glad that although the tank was dirty,you didn't lose
the lot,that would have been awful.
keep up the good work,i look forward to seeing pictures
when you can.
:)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #47 
tenpaull

Hey guys!

I can't seem to take a good picture with my set-up as of now. I am using a styro tub and a top-view picture will not do them justice. As soon as I get my hands on my growout tank[20gal] I will post pictures of my lovely fry :p
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote