Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 
Chrexis

New Betta Help

So I bought Comet yesterday, and it seems that my heater might not be strong enough... I have a 5 gallon tank with a 50 watt elite submersible heater and it's keeping the water between 74-76 degrees, granted the heat's not really on in my house but would that really do much?

Is it normal for them not to eat for the first few days of their new home? The petstore worker gave me these pellets that are a bit big, so I borrowed some smaller ones from my fiance and he still spits them out.

Lastly the tank's been running (heater and filter) for the past day and the water's gotten a bit cloudy? Is that normal for a new tank as well?

I really apologize if I'm asking redundant or even tedious questions, but I would really like to see that I appreciate the help that you can give!
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 
Lordsameth

Hmmm I can't answer all of your questions however I find that most of my brand new betta won't eat for a couple days after I get them. I'd give them some time, some betta come from the breeder having never even seen a food pellet in their lives! That means they need to learn that they are indeed food.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
Beall

I cant answer it all, but, when you put your friend in the tank, did you rinse everything off? Not rinsing rocks, or decorations thoroughly will result in collected dust being transferred in the water.
Secondly, did you use a conditioner. I may have skipped that part, but this is very important. You can read many water chemistry forums, and learn. But in short, tapwater may contain chloramines, chlorine, and possibly heavy metals. A proper water conditioner can remove these.

As for the pellets, they are a dry food. Which means they will rehydrate when put in water. nearly doubling in size. I like to cut mine in half and throw it in their with em.

He may not eat. this is normal for up to about a week after moving into his new home.

Hope this Helped.
Beall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 
Chrexis

I have rinsed off everything before putting it in the water, all the water has been conditioned and dechlorinated.
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote