Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 
moerajab

What Filter To Use?!?!

Hey! I'm setting up a Betta tank so I bought a 25 gallon tank for it's self to live happy with 2 Otis Algae Eaters. I have everything ready like plants, heater, water conditioner, etc., except for the Filter.

The employees at the store are telling me I dont really need a filter for the Betta Fish as they are really clean but you just need a small one to filter and move the water for the conditioner. The reason im asking is because the 25 gallon filters are too strong and pound the fish down. (the one that hangs on the back). So im wondering can i get a small 3.5 gallon underwater filter for my tank?
moerajab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 
Micho

If the filter is too strong just baffle. I highly reccomend to always get filters that output equal or more water than the tank per hour. (gallons per hour)

3.5g small filter won't cut it. It's always to have more filtration capacity.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1 to Micho. Just baffle the filter.

By otis algae eater, do you mean oto, also called otocinclus? If so, you need to get some more. They like groups of 5+. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #4 
freemike

I personally would use sponge filters. They are the tried and trued method and keep the current low while having a large capacity for bio-filtration. They aren't the best mechanical filtration but with regular water change it should keep your water clear as any other filter.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #5 
kfryman

Get the Aquaclear 30! It has adjustable flow and three different types of filtration. You almost never have to change the media so it is more cost effective in the long run. It is also adjustable flow so you may not even have to baffle it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #6 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
I personally would use sponge filters. They are the tried and trued method and keep the current low while having a large capacity for bio-filtration. They aren't the best mechanical filtration but with regular water change it should keep your water clear as any other filter.
I just want to second the suggestion for a sponge filter. I *love* mine! So easy to use and quiet. There is no risk of the fish getting sucked in or fins being harmed by the intake. They also don't need baffled since the flow is much more gentle.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

If the tank is heavily planted go with a sponge filter, but if not, an aquaclear 30 with a baffle is just fine. A note about oto catfish, it's not recommended to add them to new tanks as the tank is often without algae and this will cause the fish to starve. Many times the ones you get from the store are in poor condition because they haven't had any algae to eat. Set the tank up for a few months, let some algae grow, and then add your little guys. Once they have begun to eat the algae then you can move them to sinking algae wafers. Read more here: TFK profile for oto catfish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 
moerajab

Thank you guys for your help :)! I will try the sponge filter and see how that goes.

And 'thekoimaiden' as for the Oto Catfish i will postpone for 2 months so thank you for the help!
moerajab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, filter, fish, gallon, tank