Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #151 
BettaMiah

My mom would never allow frozen rats to get in her freezer. O.e
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #152 
Mankey

I return with a question! I bought myself a frog today, along with some frozen blood worm cubes. So... do I take out one whole cube, feed as much as I have to, then put the rest back? Or do I only take out parts of a cube? Then how do I keep the rest from spilling out?

Also, would it have been better if I got some non-frozen live blood worms?
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #153 
Chesh

I don't know about frozen vs live, though I'm sure others can advise. I assume that fresh is more nutritious, but you also might run a higher risk of live foods bringing diseases into the tank? I'm not sure!

I feed frozen, and I cut the cube into 1/2 or 1/4 - depending on how much the frog/fish need and put the rest back into the freezer BEFORE IT HAS DEFROSTED with aluminum foil on top :) Any leftovers that have been defrosted get thrown away - can't re-freeze.

Congrats on your new froggy!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #154 
SpookyTooth

Thank you for starting up this thread :) I've been reading up on ADFs lately and have decided I'd like to get a pair in a few weeks (too much going on right now, want to make sure they have my full attention). I haven't read every page of this topic yet (it's 10:30pm and I'm sleeeeeppy) but I do have a couple of questions if I may?

I've read so many sources and seen so much conflicting information regarding tank size... I'm going to be starting up a second naturally planted tank using cuttings from my current one - so I won't have a filter (shouldn't need one as it'll be densely planted, I have liquid tests though so I'll keep an eye on toxin levels and will be doing regular water changes). What size tank would you recommend for a pair? I've heard they're more active in pairs... though part of me just wants a single frog as I feel it'd be easier - but I want to do what is best for the animal.

I can get ahold of appropriate foods for the frog(s) but I am wondering if bloodworms that are kept in gel are appropriate? They're really easy to get ahold of here and I have a box that I sometimes give my guppies and platys. They would also be easier for me to keep as we have little to no freezer space.

I'm also wondering about males singing! How loud can it be? My father is quite concerned of being woken up by it (though I'm across the hall). I'd hate to find the frog(s) woke him up.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and have a thorough readthrough in the morning... for now I'm going to bed!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #155 
Chesh

Yay! Welcome to the ADF fanclub! I'm new at this too, but I'll pass on what I know, and I'm sure the others will chime in at some point!

If you would like to keep a pair I recommend that you get them both at the same time and from the same tank. I have one right now, and want to get another - but because of worry about the chytrid fungus I have to make sure he is well first, then keep the other in quarantine for three months to make sure that it is healthy before putting it into the tank with the first one. ADF's are nearly impossible to sex until they sexually mature at 9 months of age - and even after it can be difficult. . .so getting an actual male/female pair might not happen. . . they can be kept perfectly happily all alone, but are more active in groups (I've been told). Obviously having one I want another - so I'd say go with two right off if you can! I don't really think that it would be any more difficult to keep two than one - aside from the obvious tank cleaning!

Mine hasn't done it yet, (I WILL BE SO EXCITED IF HE DOES!!!) but from what I've been told singing is ONLY done by males (some sources say females may sing ONLY in reply to the call of a male) and the sound is a soft whirring - almost like an electronic malfunction. Shouldn't be something to keep you Dad up at night! I'm not sure if the head posting on this thread has it, but do a Google search, and you should be able to find a recording fairly easily.

You will of course see a HUGE range in the recommended tank size. I have one in a 5 gallon right now, and am very comfortable with adding a second in there, though some would say it will be overstocked. Realistically, as long as you do regular water changes and keep a very close eye on the toxins in the water, and if the frogs have ample room to swim and 'play' - you should be fine. A larger size is always going to be recommended - it's easier to maintain water quality in a larger tank, and of course the creatures do need room to swim and move about, but I think that with proper care and maintenance a 5gallon tank should be okay. As with any pet - you have to watch them and learn what is normal for them, and be prepared to make a change if it should prove necessary!

I have no idea about bloodworms packed in a gel form, so hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here. . . I do know that it is highly recommended to feed these frogs a variety of foods - as it really is with any animal - rather than sticking to one food source all of the time. I've read that feeding blood worms too often can lead to bloat - but I've also read of people who feed blood-worms almost exclusively and had no problems. This again goes in with being familiar with your animal, not allowing it to overeat, and maintaining good water. :)

I see you have a (beautiful) image of a Beta over there. . . just curious - will you be keeping your frogs with him? If so, you'll want to do some research into how to feed ADF's without over-feeding the betta - or starving the frogs! Many people do it, but it can be tricky!

*whew* that was a lot of info! I hope it helped! Keep us up to date on what you decide, and how your little pet(s) fare (when you get there)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #156 
SpookyTooth

Thank you very much for your advice :). I have listened to ADFs singing and it just made me want a male! Haha! I absolutely love it. I'm sure my dad would sleep through it anyway.

I'd definately get a pair from the same tank; if I recall correctly the store I bought my betta from stocks ADFs too, so it'd be great to give them my support again (they're fantastic at what they do).

I have a 5 gallon that my giant african land snail recently moved out of. I can thoroughly clean it and use that; I'd pack it out with live plants as well while maintaining regular water changes, of course. I do hope to get a pair so I'll make sure there's enough playing space (I won't have it too densely planted, just enough to pack out the corners and back to offer some security). They'll have to share space with a couple of Mayalsian Trumpet Snails (to stop the sand from going bad) but I'm sure they won't mind that...

I'm also going to find a small dish I can use for feedings as I'll be using a sand substrate and it'll be much easier to ensure they get enough food.

Thank you for the comment about Kaze, he's a lovely fish. He'll be going into the NPT on my desk away from the frogs. Maybe one day I'll have a 10 gallon with him and the frogs but for now they'll be seperate and left to do their own things.

I've got this topic bookmarked and will check back regularly! :) Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #157 
Chesh

I agree! I'm hoping that I have a male just so I get a chance to hear him sing someday! I know I'll be over-the-moon excited about it!

My little frog is happily living with MTS - no worries there! Your frogs will love all of the plants in their new home - and the sand, as well! It sounds like you're off to a good start!

As far as them being messy eaters. . . mine isn't! His food is messier than he is, and tends to go floaty! I don't think I could keep brine or bloodworm in a bowl - but I've found that as long as I don't overfeed him, he finds it all (given time - they don't see very well, and it takes ages for them to find their food if it isn't live - though I've seen mine nab a guppy fry like lightning!) Anything left behind is easily cleaned up with a turkey baster (for me - and my 5g tank is heavily planted, too!). Good thinking to be extra careful in a filter-less tank A friend of mine recommended defrosting food in a tea strainer to get rid of any extra liquids, as all that does is dirty up the water. Great advice! And all of those wonderful plants won't hurt, either!

You'll have a fun time if you ever decide to add the beta in there. . . I had a killer hard a time keeping frog's food away from the fish when he lived in a community tank. There are loads of people who have worked this out, though - so if you do put them together, you'll have to let us know how they do! I really was considering adding a beta, but. . . it's so NICE now not to have to worry about him getting enough, I think I'll stay with a species tank (and snails, lol!)

It would be wise to check if your LFS sells other types of frogs, like ACF - and if so ask them about their breeders. As Gizmo mentioned on her first posting - ACF are carriers for the Chytrid fungus, and ADF frogs that come from shops that stock both are often exposed. . . not to scare you, but it can take three months for signs of this to show up, and it's a bugger to get rid of. Better to be aware then lose a friend!

I'm a beginner with these frogs, too, but have learned a LOT in the time I've had mine! Do keep checking in - I'm sure those who have been around longer will have more information to add - and of course, update us when you get them!

Last edited by Chesh; 04-11-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #158 
freemike

My experience thus far:

I find my frogs will not sing if they are in a community fish tank. I'm not exactly sure why but they just refuse to sing. When I set up the frog tank I hear them every night. I have three males in a 5 gallon tank and been keeping a close eye on water quality and everything is working out for me. They do have standoffs and some grappling but they haven't hurt each other. Most of the day they are lazy and don't do much of anything and will even lay with each other peacefully. I do have some java moss and anacharis in the tank with them floating. They seem to enjoy climbing and floating with the floating stalks. I'm thinking about giving them sand since I found a nice pellet that is good for them and not being messy as frozen foods.

Last edited by freemike; 04-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #159 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Awesome post of awesomeness
Thank you so much for all your advice... but I think my frog endeavors will have to be put on hold.

I've had a bit of a disaster with the planted tank on my desk that's shaken my confidence quite a bit... added some red cherry shrimp yesterday and found them dead this morning. Water tests came up clear so I think the soil I'd originally used wasn't as safe as I thought. I've been considering using only sand as I have easy-to-grow species... but I'm really really nervous now. I may find that the plants I have prefer soil and don't thrive as they have done so far (some are even flowering!).

I can't afford a high-tech tank; the plants in my current one are doing fantastically with no fertilization or CO2 - they're simply in soil, capped with sand and under the correct lighting. I'd like to start over and remove the soil - I don't want to use it again for a while until I'm feeling more confident but I don't know if the species I have will survive without it... though they're stem plants and I think they get most of their nutrition from the water column rather than substrate. I have a bunch of floating plants that are doing well, too.

I'd prefer sand as it's much easier for me to clean (I have a turkey baster) but I've read that gravel is better for waste decomposition. I have two types of gravel too (naturally coloured, standard large gravel and black fine gravel) but I would really prefer to use sand. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew...

Agghhh!!

I've also found that my favourite fish store doesn't stock ADFs... they only have ACFs! I've read all about the fungus and know what to look for (thank Goodness for this topic!) and what to do if the frog is indeed sick but I'd have to find one first heh... maybe I should just stick to one betta tank.

... The last twenty-four hours have been quite frustrating. I'm currently trying to decide where to go from here. I don't want to give up on live plants but I definately don't want to use soil again until I can guarantee that all is well. Maybe this was just a way of nature telling me to slow down a bit and just stick to the basics...

I wonder if I could start up an ADF tank (and re-do Kaze's betta tank) with just sand and pack it full of live plants... who knows, they might thrive.

Sorry for the mini-rant there... I'm utterly exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
My experience thus far:
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #160 
Chesh

I'm sorry you're having a tough day, hun! Chin up! Being forced to learn more is never a bad thing.

I'm still really new to all of this, but I've also looked into cherry shrimp in the past, and decided to wait on that for a bit after reading that they are best introduced to a well-established tank with excellent filtration and are very sensitive to Nitrate and copper. . . so depending on how long your tank has been up and running - maybe it just wasn't the right time yet?! Also new to keeping plants, but . . . from what I've found, even though a soil substrate might be preferred by the plant, it usually isn't necessary for them to thrive. Unless maybe, you're going high tech - which you aren't! I have sand substrate in 3 tanks with many types of plants that (though many are still new to their homes) are doing well and growing rapidly - including stem plants. Byron has posted several articles about this here (though you've probably already read them, it's never bad to read over things again when feeling overwhelmed - if nothing else, it may bolster your confidence to discover how much you actually did right!). I say try the sand, and see how it goes. . . I'm willing to bet that you'll be happy with the results - and since sand is your preferred substrate, you'll be happier all-around in the long run. Give it a try in Kaze's tank - as long as you cause no harm to the creature you're caring for, there is much to be learned here!

I'm sure you've been successfully keeping aquariums far longer than I have, so forgive my regurgitation of obvious information - just trying to help with my limited experience Sometimes going back to the basics is the best way to solve a problem. . . don't be frustrated by failure (overly) - rather, try be excited to learn more about the various aspects of this fascinating hobby! . . . and I'm sure that when you're feeling ready again, you'll find your froggies - wherever they may be - and give them a wonderfully rich and happy long life! These guys ARE commonly found in the larger chain stores, and so far I've had good luck with PetSmart (more info on this in a previous post if you're interested)

Good luck! *hugs*