Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #1 
DBFishkins

Lightbulb How should I restart a tank for a new Betta?

A few weeks ago, my first Betta Fishkins got sick and died after my vain efforts to make him better. I think it was Columnaris, but I have no idea. No one answered my thread. :[ I only had him for a week at most.

But anyways, I'm going to be using the same tank that I had before, but I'm going to buy a new filter and a new heater (pretty sure that caused the problems in the first place). The filter I currently own he had issues swimming because of the current. I'm looking at this filter for up to 3gal: http://www.petco.com/product/12460/T...quariumFilters

I bought the 2.5gal Mini bow aquarium that came with its own filter. The heater I own said up to 10gal, but it made the water get far too warm. 86F! I saw a specific Betta heater that was for up to 5gal, and I may buy that one. I've read on here that its difficult to keep 2.5gal properly heated.

So my question for all of this is: Would it be okay to use for my 2.5gal tank?

My second question is this: How should I clean the tank and the items IN the tank? I had red gravel as substrate, but bought natural gravel. My husband said, and claims to this day, that he saw red gravel dust floating around, so maybe we didn't rinse it well enough. So, we have fresh substrate. I also have a few silk plants and a cave. One plastic plant. The tank is acryllic, I believe. I know you aren't supposed to use soap to clean everything. All of the decor has already been rinsed in suuuuuper hot water.

My third question: How long should I cycle the tank? Is there anything specific I need to know about cycling a tank? Should I even cycle the tank?

I didn't do this with Fishkins, and he was okay until he got sick, which I attribute to the high temp of the water. He got sick right after that spike but prior to, he was doing fabulously.

Sorry for all the questions!! I'm such a newb. I blame myself for Fishkins' death and I feel horrible about it. I want to make sure I do the right thing this time.
DBFishkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFishkins View Post
A few weeks ago, my first Betta Fishkins got sick and died after my vain efforts to make him better. I think it was Columnaris, but I have no idea. No one answered my thread. :[ I only had him for a week at most.

But anyways, I'm going to be using the same tank that I had before, but I'm going to buy a new filter and a new heater (pretty sure that caused the problems in the first place). The filter I currently own he had issues swimming because of the current. I'm looking at this filter for up to 3gal: http://www.petco.com/product/12460/T...quariumFilters

I bought the 2.5gal Mini bow aquarium that came with its own filter. The heater I own said up to 10gal, but it made the water get far too warm. 86F! I saw a specific Betta heater that was for up to 5gal, and I may buy that one. I've read on here that its difficult to keep 2.5gal properly heated.

So my question for all of this is: Would it be okay to use for my 2.5gal tank?
The heater or the filter? Can you give us a link to the heater brand? Any 25 watt adjustable heater (worth spending out to get a good one) will do for this tank. :)

My second question is this: How should I clean the tank and the items IN the tank? I had red gravel as substrate, but bought natural gravel. My husband said, and claims to this day, that he saw red gravel dust floating around, so maybe we didn't rinse it well enough. So, we have fresh substrate. I also have a few silk plants and a cave. One plastic plant. The tank is acryllic, I believe. I know you aren't supposed to use soap to clean everything. All of the decor has already been rinsed in suuuuuper hot water.
Sometimes painted gravel can leach colour into the water, so it's quite possible. I think natural substrate looks nicer anyway. :) You can wash everything in a bleach solution, 1 part of bleach to 9 parts of water, then rinse like heck til you can't smell bleach anymore and leave out to airdry. Then rinse again. That will kill any bugs. :)

My third question: How long should I cycle the tank? Is there anything specific I need to know about cycling a tank? Should I even cycle the tank?
Honestly don't worry about it. Cycling a 2.5 gallon is really difficult, so don't bother. Just do two 50% changes a week, vacuuming the substrate for one of these. :)

I didn't do this with Fishkins, and he was okay until he got sick, which I attribute to the high temp of the water. He got sick right after that spike but prior to, he was doing fabulously.
It's probably not the temperature itself which hurt him so much as the shock of the change.

Sorry for all the questions!! I'm such a newb. I blame myself for Fishkins' death and I feel horrible about it. I want to make sure I do the right thing this time.
You are absolutely not to blame for his death. You say you had him for a week - chances are his immune system was compromised already and the temperature spike was just an unfortunate event that pushed him over the edge. Do not blame yourself *hugs*. It sounds like you gave him great care. :)

I hope your new fish lives a long and happy life! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #3 
DBFishkins

Thanks for your reply!! The heater we have isn't adjustable...it was one of the cheaper ones they had (Aqueon, I think.) But I didn't see any adjustable heaters when I bought it. I will keep a look out for an adjustable one! I was wondering if both the heater and filter will work. I want to see how new fish does with the current and if its too strong, I'm going to make a filter baffle and see how that works before buying a new filter.

Would it be okay to rinse the filter out in a bleach solution as well? Or is there something specific that I should do for it?

Is there anything I can use other than a gravel vacuum? I don't own one and I'm not sure how much they cost. I used a turkey baster before. Fishkins wasn't keen on eating the week he was with us.
Will the water changes shock his system? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on him?

Thanks! :]]
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Hi, sorry for your loss. I have the same tank you do and I don't bother with a filter. In a tank that small its not nessary. If you are talking about the heater from petco that is $10. I reccomend it for a 2.5. It's what I use and I like how it heats it. It overheated though in a 1 gallon.
I just do 1 50% and 1 100% change once a week and rinse the rocks out well
Just make sure you acclimate him properly. Once the water is the right temp put him in for around 10-15 minutes, then add just a little bit of tank water wait another few minutes, add more water wait and then slowly put him in. Its how I do it and never had a problem
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Yep, the turkey baster is fine. :)

To keep water changes un-stressful, just try not to swish the water all over the place and rock him about. :) Also make sure that incoming water is the same temperature (as close as possible) to the water in the tank. When doing a 100% change (if you choose to go filterless), acclimatise him slowly and O'd suggest using a cup or bowl to catch him, rather than a net. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 
DBFishkins

Thanks so much!! :]] Once I choose my new fishy and get everything set up for him, I will post a picture! Crossing my fingers it goes well this time.