Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #41 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Join a budgie forum :D
It's probably like bettas, you'd learn a lot that you wouldn't even reading books.
That's a good idea :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #42 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Do you mean parakeet as in small bird (what parakeet the word means) or parakeet as in budgie? I assume you mean Budgie. :)
Yes they do sleep at night, just put a cover over their cage when it is time to go to bed. Also, you should consider getting it a friend, birds are very social toward eachother. Sometimes when they are alone human companionship is not enough. You can get just one but keep an eye out for possible lonliness. :)
How about a cockatiel? They are fine alone and have the friendliness of budgies but easier training and not as skittish. Plus some you can teach to talk. I remember hearing a story from a friend who used to have one, the bird would land on his table and knock stuff off. When my friend would get mad and tell the cockatiel to stop the bird would say "no thanks, I love you". It was the cutest thing. lol
Parakeets are not only small birds. It defines a unrelated grouping of small to medium birds who usually have long tapered tails.

Budgies do make very good pets, and are cheap during the initial purchase. Males can be taught to speak, and both genders can learn many tricks and be cuddly. Because they are so small they generally don't enjoy being pet as much as larger birds. My two favorite small birds are Indian ring necks, and cockatiels.

Last edited by copperarabian; 04-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #43 
Sakura8

Just checking in and saw things got a little heated. We all okay here now? *anxious*

Hermit or fiddler crabs or frogs if you want to stick with aquatic animals. Otherwise, sorry, I'm no help. All I've ever had are cats, fish, and a very long-lived rabbit who I turned out to be allergic to. Loved him a lot though.

As for birds, Fin, if you are thinking seriously of a bird, definitely ask Copperarabian any and all questions. She is one of the most knowledgeable bird people around. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #44 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Just checking in and saw things got a little heated. We all okay here now? *anxious*

Hermit or fiddler crabs or frogs if you want to stick with aquatic animals. Otherwise, sorry, I'm no help. All I've ever had are cats, fish, and a very long-lived rabbit who I turned out to be allergic to. Loved him a lot though.

As for birds, Fin, if you are thinking seriously of a bird, definitely ask Copperarabian any and all questions. She is one of the most knowledgeable bird people around. :)
Yeah, I think everything is okay now :)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #45 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Parakeets are not only small birds. It defines a unrelated grouping of small to medium birds who usually have long tapered tails.

Budgies do make very good pets, and are cheap during the initial purchase. Males can be taught to speak, and both genders can learn many tricks and be cuddly. Because they are so small they generally don't enjoy being pet as much as larger birds. My two favorite small birds are Indian ring necks, and cockatiels.
Even though they may not like being pet as much, do they still like to perch on their human friends' shoulders/fingers?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #46 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Even though they may not like being pet as much, do they still like to perch on their human friends' shoulders/fingers?
Yes when tame they will perch on you. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #47 
kfryman

I had parakeets before, we would have them fly inside and were trained to land one your finger when you put it up. I remember having them land on my shoulder. Not sure about budgies. If you are looking for something cuddley or affectionate stay away from most aqautic animals as many can be injured by you touching them, like frogs or fish. I would say small mammals or birds. I know that one dwarf hamster can be housed in a ten gallon aqaurium that has a screen top. Just get some chews, a hide or two, and low climbing toys and substrate. They would be in your price range like most small mammals.

Guinea pigs require more room than others, I think 6 square feet or something like that.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #48 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I had parakeets before, we would have them fly inside and were trained to land one your finger when you put it up. I remember having them land on my shoulder. Not sure about budgies. If you are looking for something cuddley or affectionate stay away from most aqautic animals as many can be injured by you touching them, like frogs or fish. I would say small mammals or birds. I know that one dwarf hamster can be housed in a ten gallon aqaurium that has a screen top. Just get some chews, a hide or two, and low climbing toys and substrate. They would be in your price range like most small mammals.

Guinea pigs require more room than others, I think 6 square feet or something like that.
I already have a hamster and he does not make a good companion :/.....And I have a betta but I don't touch him lol...But I think a budgie would be nice
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #49 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post

I own a dwarf hamster. Hams should be in a cage more the size of a 20g or maybe a 10g with tubes that connect to more cages. Mice can be in 10g though (if you have lots of toys and maybe even a play area).
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #50 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
With small birds the best thing to do is buy a handed fed baby from a breeder or bird specialty store. They will love to be with you, enjoy being pet, and will definitely sit on your finger and shoulder. You can still buy a untamed budgie from a pet store and it will eventually enjoy sitting on your finger and shoulder, but may not be as cuddly as a hand raised bird. Depending on the store some employees may have already started the taming process for you. usually they go as far as getting the budgie to sit on your finger.

You should read this article about feeding birds. Unfortunately pet stores are recommended foods that are cutting are birds lives in half from organ failure.
http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/the-4...-healthy-diet/
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote