Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 
freemike

Aquabid stock?

Why isn't there any male crown tail Betta in the US? You can find the other types in male, but male CT in the US seems to be a rarity.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Because our water sucks for their fin rays. Too hard and too high of a pH. Indonesia is the best source for CTs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3 
nel3

i love ct despite the ray curling, it doesn't deter me from getting one though. seems like i have no luck in that department. the fish are just fine in the pet store water but not the municipal water where i am. do pet stores have water softening tech for the benefit of the fish?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Actually not all the water in the US is too hard. I've got very soft water (soft enough for wild caught cardinal tetra) and could keep crowntails if I wanted (not really a fan, tho). I know others that also have soft water. There are methods you can use to soften water such as mixing your tap water with RO water if you really want to keep crowntails, Mike. Some pet stores might use RO water in their tanks, but you'd have to ask the store owner, Nel.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 
Betta16

I know that some chain stores have water softeners. (mine dose) you can make a home made water filter to soften your water if you realy wanted to.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta16 View Post
I know that some chain stores have water softeners. (mine dose) you can make a home made water filter to soften your water if you realy wanted to.
sorry for any possible tech ingnorance but will a brita filter do? i probably should look into it, i have 2 ct both in their own 3.4g KK. the older one already had some curling. i do use IAL on them, 800ml ial water for the 3.4g kk
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #7 
freemike

Interesting viewpoints and I did not consider the water being a hindrance. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye out for one at my LFS and the large chains. I can't afford the transhipper fees right now.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #8 
kfryman

I think that some transhippers let you pick up the fish? Not sure you would ha e to ask, though it depends how far away the shipper is, I have one fairly close so if I want to consider breeding I may see if I can pick up the fish.

My water is soft but for some reason has a high pH, I should ask the water company what they add.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote