Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #61 
Bombalurina

Well, at work last night I found at that one of the families thinks that the place went to the dogs whilst I was in charge, because staff were "picking on" his child. No, they weren't. His child is a total toerag, a danger to other children and an all-round nuisance. It's not that he behaves better when I'm not there, or that I pick on him - I just happen to be one of the best workers there (that's not me being arrogant, some of our staff are apalling) and actually notice when children misbehave. And, guess what, I do my job and stop them.

One of the staff ended up telling this child he was an idiot or something and the dad got all riled up. The staff member was talked to by the girl in charge that night, but apparently doesn't give a damn. I am all for this child being told he is an idiot, but not by us. You just can't do that when you are a staff member responsible for these children and accountable to their parents.

Yay, work again tonight.

I baked extremely tasty vegan cookies today - cranberry and oatmeal.
What makes something a cookie and something else a biscuit?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #62 
Shirleythebetta

Calling a problem child an idiot is also not benificial to the child either. If the kid has problems it usually starts at home. I had issues like this when I was in child care. Also took psychology and early childhood education along with teachers aide courses in college prep in highschool.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #63 
Aus

"Toerag"

One of those words I just don't hear much anymore, never fails to crack me up...

Bad behaviour ought to be addressed (both with the child -and- its parents, imo), and it's nice to hear that you agree - the 'idiot' thing from that other worker was a bit harsh, though, and as a parent I'd probably be upset, too.

I think the difference between 'cookie' and 'biscuit' is just USA vs Aussie/Brit lingo. Though I do tend to call anything round with chocolate chips in it a 'cookie', by default. I blame Sesame Street.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #64 
Shirleythebetta

HAHA, Sesame street. I liked the vampire... lol
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #65 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Calling a problem child an idiot is also not benificial to the child either. If the kid has problems it usually starts at home. I had issues like this when I was in child care. Also took psychology and early childhood education along with teachers aide courses in college prep in highschool.
This child's problem does start at home - the parents do nothing to discipline him. I am complete agreement that a staff member should not be calling this child a name, but these parents need to take their children in hand.

Another problem we encounter at work is people bringing their children with autism or Asbergers or other problems to us. Not one of us is a qualified childcare worker. All we are there to do, technically, is 'facilitate safe play'. We are not equipped to look after children with issues like that. Every time they come, they cause trouble, but we can't discipline them like any other child, and of course the other children then say, "Oh, but you didn't put so-and-so in time out."

And my goodness, so many of the staff there are totally useless.

I have to run a fairy party at a wedding today. For 5 children. Aged 3-10. For an hour and a half. I don't understand why people book me for things like this - how can you except a ten-year-old to be entertained by a fairy when she also has to dumb her performance down to keep the 3-year-old entertained?

Apple and cinammon tea. Mmm-hmm.

I did a lot of interesting reading on the topic of gay marraige yesterday. I think I'm going to have to write down precisely what I think about it to clarify my position in my own head. One thing I do dislike (and I dislike this about any cause, whatever it is) is that there is such enormous pressure to be on one side of it, or you are a heartless, cruel, bigoted sadist who hates human rights, or a crazed, over-liberal, morally depraved communist who wants everyone to be gay. I don't think that's true. There are some lovely, caring people on both sides of the issue, just like there are extremists on both sides.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #66 
Bombalurina

Oh, and I never watched Sesame Street. Playschool, Arthur and Art Attack all the way.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #67 
Bombalurina

I had such a fantastic dream last night. It involved midnight vampire/werewolf sacrifices (the terrifying kind of vampires/werewolves, not the overused Anne Rice/Stephanie Myer/whatever kind) and ended up with Batman. I love my brain when it does that to me. :)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #68 
Bombalurina

My last day of looking after Daisy today (the cat for my first pet-sitting job). I got my first animal-minding payslip yesterday. :D

The wedding went pretty well yesterday, despite the wedding party being late and half of the children I had to look after being boys. I was quite surprised as to how well they took to the fairy looking after them.

Church today, followed by a Disney movie marathon with some friends. Huzzah! Tomorrow will be a busy day. Vet appointment, taking my files back to the boss, dropping my fairy costume back (I hope I can keep my magic to practice, though), haircut (at last) and trying desperately to finish my assignment. Blergh.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #69 
Shirleythebetta

The best thing you can do when entertaining children in that range of age is try to get the older ones involved in helping you entertain the youngest. Even though that may still not work, it's worth a try. Most kids around ten love to have some kind of responsibility. It's about preteen age so they are kind of in that between "kid and teen" stage.
So this place you work has no regulations on taking special needs children? Is it posted anywhere were the parents can see a statement that no one is qualified to care for special needs kids? That may help. It sounds like your work is cut out for you. Doesn't seem like there were very organized rules and boundaries for parents, children and workers when you started there. That's not easy.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #70 
Bombalurina

I think the problem is that the club we work for doesn't actually care. Because it is a free service, they can't see the money that we bring in from parents being dragged in by their children. As such, we have to function with no authority, very few rules, little support from the club, and in rooms totally unsuited for children. They are basically just function rooms - tvs on the wall that we can't use but the children could smash if they tried, tables everywhere with no safe places for the children to run, and outdated board games and movies. What also doesn't help is that we only really have the regulars, who think that by dint of having been there for years they don't have to obey the rules any more.

I truly hate that job, but we are so understaffed and my boss is so good to me. The company has always looked after me, so whilst we have Kids Club I'm not going to leave them in the lurch.
When we get more staff, however, I am high-tailing it out of there.