Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #11 
Shirleythebetta

Yea I know they are very high maintnance. I actually have two 30 gallon filters I was going to try but I don't think I want to risk the filters lol. I would rather have the crayfish honestly. I have seen many a baby turtle die from not having the correct situation. My sister had a blue crayfish but she kept him in a 5 gallon I think which would be beyond way small in my opinion. He would be in my 29 gallon alone Probably. It would be nice to do natural plants too.... I would probably scream if he got out too :)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't get too excited about plants, blue crayfish come with a set of hedge trimmers :p I'd go crazy with rocks and driftwood, maybe some fast growers like hornwort.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #13 
Laki

Can't wait to see it actually! ^.^ When will you get them?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

Hopefully soon. I have to get two more wedding parties over with and hopefully I will get enough cash through that. I want to do a ton of research as well to make sure I get everything right with this guy. I will for sure post a ton of pics though. My goal is to have him within 2 weeks to a month. I am going to take the advice on the plants. I didn't think about the "hedge trimmers" duh.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #15 
Aus

What about a tortoise? You guys are lucky enough to live where these are at least available - and being land-based, tortoises maybe won't need such a pricey set up?

I admit to total ignorance on this species, however. ><
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

That will be worth looking into. I never thought of the land based turtles that aren't aquatic hardly at all in the hills on the Ohio river border. Not saying I would pick up a wild one because I don't believe in that but I could check the petstores down there...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Tortoises are cheap and easy to find where you are.
The best habitats are huge plastic bins or wooden enclosures, you cant keep them in glass, they will bash into it till the death (they can't see it, it's not there).
Also, research their UVA and UVB requirements as well, that's the most important part of the set up.
Some species to look into: greek tortoise and Russian tortoise, they stay small and therefore don't need huge homes like something like a red footed tortoise.
Tortoises are VERY smart, and have great personalities. I wish they were easier to find in Canada.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #18 
Aus

My lovely housemate wants a tortoise - so I thought I'd get him one for his birthday, and never knew we had none here at all, until I went looking, lol..

I'm so jealous of you all who can get these animals easily, I've wanted a box tortoise since I was a little girl.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

thanks for the ideas and information! I have some new research now. I feel so fortunate to live in my area now. lol
Old 04-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You are lucky! I may still have a US breeder bookmarked, I'll post the link later.
They are really great pets, along with crocodilians, they are considered the "high intelligence" reptiles.
There's tortoises here. But a red footed in Canada costs $300 minimum, in the US you can get a baby for $50.
It's impossible to import them, due to "salmonella risk". I'm sorry but every reptile can carry it, as well as most birds. >__>