Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 
SillySnail

King bettas

Hey guys, I have never seen a king betta before, and recently saw one. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. Anyone have one?? Do they require the same care as crowntails?? Opinions on me getting one??

Thoughts please!!!
SillySnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #2 
kfryman

They require the same care, just more food lol.

They are not actually part of our lovely splendens, like halfmoons or veils, but part of another group. I think you should have more hiding spots as they are quite timid and scare easy. You may be able to coax them to not swim away and hide when you come close. The more hiding spots that he can easily get to the more comfortable he may feel and will be out more. That actually goes towards a lot of animals and got it from dart frog care.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

The difference is size average is over 2.5, and usually under 4 inches. They are the same care as any betta - but because of size shouldn't be kept in a one gallon I think there are some who have them in 5 gallons, no problem. Their tummy is the size of their eye, like other bettas I owned a big gal, Madame, and she dominated others in size

do you have a good sized tank, and heater? those are most needed
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Kings are splendens and they require the same care and a lot more food.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
They require the same care, just more food lol.

They are not actually part of our lovely splendens, like halfmoons or veils, but part of another group. I think you should have more hiding spots as they are quite timid and scare easy. You may be able to coax them to not swim away and hide when you come close. The more hiding spots that he can easily get to the more comfortable he may feel and will be out more. That actually goes towards a lot of animals and got it from dart frog care.
I kinda gotta chuckle at the idea of the Petco King being timid. My boy, Uther, is a *total* character and every time I walk in the room he is in the closest corner of his tank watching my every move. He has even flared at me on occasion. He's a pistol! He's actually the only one of my 4 boys who has actually bit me! (I was trying to rearrange some plants in his tank) And it wasn't gentle!

I am in NO way saying that any Betta is, or is not, timid, but I think it's more of an individual thing rather than a hard fast rule. Of course it could be that my boy is just an exception to the rules.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 
SillySnail

haha i love the feisty ones, Bruiser (my male crowntail) nipped me gently once while I was trying to get my snail out of the tank. And whenever i sit at my desk he watches me :) and swims around excitedly whenever im talking to him haha (must think he is going to get fed)
SillySnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

And along with more food, they emit more waste. Ammonia buildup, even in a 5gal tank amazed me.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

yes! bigger fish poop more xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote