Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How often should i feed my fish... he eats alot!
Continue w/ ur 3 pellets a day... too much is bad for him 5 45.45%
Add one more pellet a day 1 9.09%
feed him twice a day, 3 pellets 4 36.36%
give him 2 pellets, plus flakes, twice a day 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #1 
studioskim3

is my fish a fat @$$?

I feed my fish once a day, 3 pellets a day... is this too lil? cuz every time I feed him, I lift the flap of his tank, and he KNOWS whats goin to come from that flap.. he STARES at it... so when I give him his food, he LUNGES for it... and when I'm done feedin him... he still stares at the flap.

Should I increase his diet? or should i stay the same... i know that fish don't know that they are full so they will eat as much as i can give them... so should i continue giving him the same 3 pellets or increase his diet? I also give him some flakes once in a while w/ shrimp brine (brine shrimp?)... what should i do?
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #2 
MattD

Sounds like a nice healthy Betta to me. Mine also does this. I drove him nuts today, you stand in front of the tank and they don't go away.

Be careful of how much you feed though. Depending on the tank setup, it could be endangering your water quality.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #3 
Falina

Feed a variety of foods. Bloodworm, brine shrimp, flakes etc. Perhaps try a rotation where you feed pellets one day, blood worm the next, brine shrimp the next sort of thing.

I usually find that as much as the fish can eat in a couple of miniutes once a day is best for their health, and skipping a day once a week can have its benefits as well to help prevent bloat.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #4 
BlackWolf1489

I have found personally that bettas eat like pigs and they don't know when to stop. They'll eat until they make themselves sick if you let them. I'd try rotating what he's eating. I wouldn't use flakes though. I've never seen a betta that liked flakes! Try blood worms, pellets, baby brine shrimp, ect. I prefer blood worms but pellets have all of their daily nutrition in one neat little package! So confusing...
BlackWolf1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #5 
southafrica1001

hehe my last betta and the one i have now adore(d) flakes lol but i think that was what they were raised on maybe
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 AM   #6 
studioskim3

thanks everyone who has replied.... I feed them twice a day now, 3 in the morning and 2 at nite, I heard of using peas, so I'm thinkin bout feeding them that once a week to clean out their stomach... they seem really happy... when I see them get bloated, (when i was feeding them 6-8 pellets a week) and I would reduce the number, or i'll feed it one pellet for every few hours or so, max 5. Whenever they see me, they know I'm bringing food... if I don't, they flare at me, HAHAHA, smart lil beauties :)
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #7 
StickyGreen

whats happening with you fish when you open you lid is called "Classical conditioning" in psychology. Pavlov, a Russian psychologist, proved this theory on dogs. Everytime he rang a bell he would give the dog a snack, causing salivation. so after a while all he had to do is ring the bell to make the dog salivate, expecting a treat. so when ur fish feel/hear that tank lid open they know sweet little rounds things are coming for the munching. Kind of like when you hear the bell ring you know class is about to start
StickyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #8 
bobbysgrl

My Betta hates pellets but loves flakes.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote