Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Upgrading! 1,000 questions.

Hi
I was talking to a friend of mine about fish tanks and stuff like that, so he mentioned that his dad had left a 48 gallon tank laying around and he asked me if i wanted to buy it and of course, I said yes. i paid $40 for it.
-
So i was wondering how to move my fishes from my 20 gallon long tank to my new tank?

-How to clean the new tank?

-Do i need to cycle the new tank or just add the 5 pounds of gravel i have and add 10 more, use the same decorations and the same water?

-Also i would like to know what you guys think about stocking it? Taking in consideration, I already have a male betta, 3 spotted cory, 3 albino cory, 4 platy and 3 south american bumblebee catfish.

-Best heater and how many watts?

-What's your input on the filter it has (marineland penguin 350)?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_0306.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0307.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.1 KB
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

marineland is the best for filters. I love em. But don't use their carbon cartridges. Go Sponge. Nothing but the best for my fishys.

Nice looking tank. Ever thought to try live plants? you could heavily plant it ;)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I've thought about plants but it just seems kind of scary taking care of a planted tank and i am not sure if that would affect the amount of fish i can put in my tank.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4 
CytoEric

Wow...so lucky :)

How long has the tank been unused? You can use water and vinegar to clean up an old tank if you're just going for cosmetics, but if you're worried about germs you could use water and bleach and let it sit for an hour or two. Just be sure to rinse it out really well and either let it air dry for a couple days or use a double dose of dechlorinator.

As far as cycling - if you transfer the filter media from your current tank's filter to the new one, you shouldn't need to cycle it. I would still test the water daily for a week or two to make sure everything is going smoothly though...I think at least some of the bacteria in the gravel would die since the gravel would be mixed up and they wouldn't have access to the water current like before. I'd put the old gravel on top of the new gravel in order to maximize your chances of keeping the bacteria alive. The bacteria tend to live on surfaces and not free floating in the water, so it is probably less important to transfer the water...although it'd probably ease the stress on your fish to do so.

I have a penguin 200 and I like it. I actually wish I'd bought the 350 instead. All their cartridges have the carbon built in, and it can get pretty expensive buying new cartridges. What I've done is, after I've used a cartridge, I'll cut the blue filter material off and dump out the carbon out of the black plastic part. I bought one of those rolls of filter material from the store and cut it to size, then I rubberband it to the black filter part. The carbon isn't necessary unless you're trying to remove medication or something from the tank. When the filters start getting clogged, you can easily take off the blue stuff and replace it. You can rinse out the old one and reuse it (boiling it will fluff it right up like new) if you want. Since the biowheels are used to house the denitrifying bacteria, the filter cartridges can just act as mechanical media...
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I am not sure but i guess the tank has been unused for 1 month.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Hi
I was talking to a friend of mine about fish tanks and stuff like that, so he mentioned that his dad had left a 48 gallon tank laying around and he asked me if i wanted to buy it and of course, I said yes. i paid $40 for it.

WOW. That is a crazy deal. I want.
-
So i was wondering how to move my fishes from my 20 gallon long tank to my new tank?
You know when you buy fish, you get them in fish bags? Some shops will sell them to you for a small amount of money for things like this. :) You just catch the fish, bag them, then acclimatise them to the new tank the way you normally would. :)

I would use white vinegar. :)

-Do i need to cycle the new tank or just add the 5 pounds of gravel i have and add 10 more, use the same decorations and the same water?
Just the same water, substrate and decor will help seed the tank, but it won't cycle it. For an instant cycle, use all that plus your old filter media.

-Also i would like to know what you guys think about stocking it? Taking in consideration, I already have a male betta, 3 spotted cory, 3 albino cory, 4 platy and 3 south american bumblebee catfish.
First of all I would get another 1-3 of each cory, to give each of the two schools 3-6 members. After that, I would get some fancy guppies (if your betta will tolerate them) and some cherry barbs. All of these are peaceful and hardy, (as long as the barbs are in a big enough school, 6+) and can live in hard water, which I assume you have because you have platies.

Can't advise a brand, but you want at least 200 watts. I'd probably go 300.

Can't really answer that either. Bad me.

Thanks in advance.
I know other people have already answered, but I thought I'd add my 2cents. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #7 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Thanks bombalurina. Great answer.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Hi
-

I would catch them with a small net, place them in a small bag or cup with aquarium water, add the bag to the tank once the temperatures are optimal, then slowly acclimate the fish back into the large tank, since presumably you do the recommended amount of water changes which would mean that hardness and PH are the same in tank and tap if you dont have any chemicals, or materials to change those the you shouldnt have to do parameter adjustment. Just temperature acclimation

weekly Cleaning should be fairly easy. With your sticking you are somewhat understocked which would mean you don't have to do an elevated amount if water changes. A good water changing schedule for an established tank would be along the lines of weekly gravel vacuums, taking out and replacing about 25% of the water.

For when you first clean the tank, I would wash it out, and rinse with very hot water and vinegar to best clean it

Most of the benificial bacteria that oxidizes very harmful substances such as ammonia into less harmful substances occurs, and colonizes where there is an elevated amount of flow and a supply of ammonia. Gravel, water, and Deco would not hold this. Only the filter. So ideally you would want to have either the filter or the media inside the filter for best results. And an instant cycle

I would get atleast 3 more of each Corydoras species as they do a whole lot better in higher groups of around 6. And add a schooling fish of some sort, possibly 20 ember tetras, or 15 cardinal tetras

for a tank of your size I would either recommend a heater of around 250 watts. Or double 100 watt heaters at both sides if the tank. For best results, place the heater near the output of the filter to ensure that the heated water gets dispersed around the whole tank

This filter is a very good filter to use, and I would highly recommend further using it in your tank for ideal results.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck!

Last edited by Mo; 04-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote