Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
optimusprimesgurl

Exclamation Molly fry problems! Please help!

Last week my molly that I had purchased from the LPS gave birth. I could only save three of the fry. I kept them in a breeder and I noticed one fry was larger than the others, was white and was stronger. It swam around as the others sat on the bottom. They were all black. I'm not sure if they were underdeveloped, but after a week I transferred them to my cycled 10 gallon. The mother meanwhile had been acting distant and still is. She is hiding a lot still when she was normally zipping around everywhere. The babies have stayed low to the bottom of the tank. I also noticed some had strands of poop stuck to them which fell off. I was wondering how to get rid of that constipation, since it was just normal poop. Today I saw one of the little babies had died. I immediately did a 25% water change with all the fixings, stress coat, aquarium salt, and water conditioner, plus a little stress zyme. Still, the other little black one doesn't swim very well and stays on the bottom of the tank. Sometimes he'll muster the strength to swim up, but usually falls back down. His tail is always straining. I'm just wondering why one baby is striving so well, while the other is weaker. Also, what could've caused the other baby to die? This will be my first batch of mollies and I really want them to stay safe.

Also, how would you reccomend getting rid of the constipation for them? A pea like the adult or there a different method? I guess since this was my first time I was overfeeding but I'm being very careful now. I just want this problem solved.
Also, how long does the molly stay in the ten gallon for and how long will it be before I can figure out the gender of the fry? Plus can they do well in a 10 gallon tank all their life or would a 20 gallon tank be better? If so, are there any places to buy the tanks for a low cost? Thanks!
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #2 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Hi optimusprimesgurl! I have had Molly babies. I find the first few days they do a lot of sitting on the bottom. It's hard and stressful being born. Sometimes they just don't make it. It's natures way. I'm not sure why one of them was white and the other two black. Hmmmm depends on what the Mom was kept with at the LFS. She might have a few more in 35 days... if she still is holding sperm and they can do that for months apparently. I fed mine Baby fish food 3 times a day. They are babies and get hungry!! As for the Mom, this might have been her first drop and now just hiding out for awhile. keep us posted on any changes. And Good Luck.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 
optimusprimesgurl

Ah alright. I'm just mainly concerned about all the constipation though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Hi optimusprimesgurl! I have had Molly babies. I find the first few days they do a lot of sitting on the bottom. It's hard and stressful being born. Sometimes they just don't make it. It's natures way. I'm not sure why one of them was white and the other two black. Hmmmm depends on what the Mom was kept with at the LFS. She might have a few more in 35 days... if she still is holding sperm and they can do that for months apparently. I fed mine Baby fish food 3 times a day. They are babies and get hungry!! As for the Mom, this might have been her first drop and now just hiding out for awhile. keep us posted on any changes. And Good Luck.
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #4 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Well they are just so very tiny.... I really don't think there is anything you can do. It is survival of the fittest. If it is not formed properly or damaged in birth it just will not survive. In the wild, those are eaten first. The weak and sick. Now I know you are likely attached to them. It is truly incredible how tiny they can be. ( If you think Molly fry are small wait till you have swordtail babies lol)
Anyway keep your water clean, keep your temperature consistent, feed them on a regular schedule. and enjoy!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, fry, molly