Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #21 
CytoEric

You just add the flourish directly to the tank at the recommended dosage. It won't harm your fish, I use it every week in my tank. Is the java fern your only live plant? If so you could probably get away with using a little less since there wouldn't be any competition for nutrients, but I'm not sure.
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #22 
Laki

The mama fern is the biggest. There's about 4 baby ones in this tank plus a nano moss ball. My other tank has I think 4 baby ferns and a regular size moss ball anchored to driftwood.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #23 
Laki

I need to do a fertliizer today. I cannot afford seachem until after Thursday and I'm cleaning tanks today. I read that java fern likes brackish water, if I mix epsom salt and water will I get brackish? Or is aq salt? I have both. And I'll dip all my java's in it in my .5 g and keep them out of the betta tanks for a bit.

Meanwhile, if the ferns are in their own tank with brackish water, it might get stagnant and wierd without fish waste?

I'm confused as to what to do while I wait to get my seachem!!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

AQ salt will produce a "false" brackish condition, acceptable for fish like mollies but not more sensitive brackish species.
If you decide to do this, be careful with dosage. You will need to mix about 0.003sg. Marine salt usually has instructions on the box but AQ salt will not, you'd have to search online to find a good ratio since you don't have a hygrometer(?). Salted water also requires constant stirring to maintain even levels...
Personally, I wouldn't risk it.. It's a drastic change that might not do any good. I'm pretty sure ferns are primarily fresh that can tolerate salt.
Are you sure they can't wait a few more days?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #25 
Laki

Oh, there's a difference between aq salt and marine salt?!? lol wow. I'm such a noob!

My plants are after spotting worse now! I have them all in a bowl of old fish water. I want to fertilize them before adding them back to the tanks. Since especially with my 3 gallon they usually go to the bottom and it would be more trouble to get up there tomorrow or Friday when I can get out to PetSmart.

My herbs liked epsom salt water for the magnesium. Would it hurt to dissolve a bit for my java fern? Just for today and tomorrow. I'm definitely picking up seachem then.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The differences are certain minerals are not present in AQ salt... Not good enough for salt water, but marine salt is bad for freshwater due to these.
Epsom salt should be fine actually since it'll give magnesium.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #27 
Laki

okay! Thanks :)