Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #1 
Gabbie1210

My Betta is Suddenly Acting Weird..

I bought a beautiful veiltail betta, who I named Micah, a couple weeks ago (my newest "child" as my mother likes to call them) at college (I have 3 others at home) a few weeks ago. Since I have little money to use, I have him in what looks like maybe a gallon size "critter carrier", since the fish store in my town charges high prices for real tanks, with rocks and a purple fabric/silk/whatever you call it plant (he loves hiding in it!).
He was acting fine until I took him home for Easter weekend and brought him back to school with me. A few days later I noticed that his tail was getting ratty and became worried when I witnessed him biting and eating his own tail! I feed him 2 pellets a day, and recently started feeding him 1 fruit fly each day in addition (easy for me to catch them), so he's not starving. He is also acting very defensive towards anything near his tank, even if it's not a bright color like my fingertip or hand, flaring up and shaking his fins around. I read somewhere that he may be bored, so I got him an additional plant to "spice it up" a bit. Yesterday, I added the new plant, and right after I added the new plant he has been almost perpetually... angry? Always aggresive looking, darting around, when he stops he flares his fins, etc.
And I just looked at him and he had his head in a crevice between the rock that the plant is anchored to and other rocks, but he's not stuck. he's just doing that.
He does not have fin rot, and he does not have ich, so that can't be why he's sticking his head in holes (if he did i would understand that he would be trying to scratch himself), and he's going insane!
Does anyone know what I could do? Stop feeding him fruit flies, take the plant out, move his tank away from my desk (which has my computer and my life on it)??
Please help :/ Micah's worrying me.
Gabbie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

the only thing I can say about his agressiveness is that is normal. I can't give advice on tailbiting sadly. The sticking his head in holes is normal too. A betta seems to like to stick theirselves into the tiniest areas and give us heart attacks. So that part seems normal to me. Mine do it. I removed every ornament that they could get hurt on. Maybe try to find something he can use as a cave. For a small tank I found that a couple of dollars on a candle holder (with no candle in it or metal) can work great as a cave. He may just need something to explore. Rinse the candle holder (or tiny cup) off with hot water and you can even stand it up straight and they will love it. It doesn't have to lay on the side.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 
Gabbie1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
the only thing I can say about his agressiveness is that is normal. I can't give advice on tailbiting sadly. The sticking his head in holes is normal too. A betta seems to like to stick theirselves into the tiniest areas and give us heart attacks. So that part seems normal to me. Mine do it. I removed every ornament that they could get hurt on. Maybe try to find something he can use as a cave. For a small tank I found that a couple of dollars on a candle holder (with no candle in it or metal) can work great as a cave. He may just need something to explore. Rinse the candle holder (or tiny cup) off with hot water and you can even stand it up straight and they will love it. It doesn't have to lay on the side.
Lol it's just that he's so much more aggressive than all of my other bettas that I thought maybe there was something wrong with me, him, or his environment. Also, the only betta I have ever had who stuck her head in holes had ich and then committed bettacide (she jumped out)
Haha they ARE silly.. whenever mine sleep, I have a mini heart attack before I realize that they are not dead.
I'm glad the sticking his head in holes is normal :) It's a new fact to me!
I will, thankfully, be returning home from college in a few weeks, and I'm getting him a larger tank and a hiding place or two, since they do indeed like to have adventures
Thank you for your response and help!!
Gabbie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

Your welcome. It just sounds like he is being a normal betta. I have this one male that flares at my camera every time it comes near him. I have to sneak to get regular pics. He also flares at my husband. I have another boy who is a tailbiter occasionally and constantly flares and builds bubblenests. They are just doing what comes natural. I think the tailbiting will stop probably when he has more stuff to explore. Your A-Okay
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

Misplaced aggression or boredom, hehe~ You could try to move the items in his tank around or maybe add a new one to see if that works
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote