Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #21 
Gen2387

She didn't kill the fish just because of the ich. She treated with daily water changes and aquarium salt and the temp of the water was brought up to 80 at all times but we're pretty sure now that there was something more than ick because for the past 2 days he had been at the bottom of the tank, laying on it's side barely breathing (we could scoop him up in our hands, no flight response) and there was a white velvety-like thing growing on him. Yesterday he looked so bad we didn't think he was going to last the day. So there was ick but there was also something else wrong with him... velvet? internal parasites? it's hard to tell but he was extremelly sick. He was also bloated and very thin at the end .

He wasn't JUST euthanasized for fun. The fish was in pain and there was absolutly no improvement, he was deteriorating every minute, that's why he was humanly euthanized. Believe me, I work in a veterinary hospital and see people everyday that want their pets euthanized for the wrong reason, I wouldn't have let her do it if there was a good chance of bringing him back to health.

Just wanted to clarify.

P.S. The photos shown on the first page were taken some time ago and the ick was barely starting at that point. He became covered with it and a lot more bloated than the last picture. He was a sad sight.

Last edited by Gen2387; 04-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #22 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
I just don't understand ... you killed the fish b/c of ich? Ich is so easy to treat and prevent - aq. salt and raising the temp will do it. He was bottom sitting b/c he was cold. Also easily fixed. He was such a beautiful fish too. His belly did look a little bloated, but you don't feed peas to carnivores - their bodies are not meant to handle it. Daphnia is the better choice. And CTs are notorious for having fin issues.

Please, next time read up on diseases, or the fish you're getting, before deciding to kill it. I also don't really understand why you didn't have a heater for him?

eta; also, i disagree that there needs to be so many water changes. if the tank is cycled and filtered, a 50% weekly is sufficient. i have kept bettas in cycled 2 gallons before with that schedule and it was fine. however if it's not filtered or cycled, then perhaps every 3 day water changes of at least 50%, pref. 100%
Yeah, I don't think she explained the situation quite like it was, read my message on page 3 and you'll understand.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #23 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Wait...so hold up.
If he had ick, it wouldn't have killed him in a couple days. Ick is a parasite that only allows for the fish to become sick, it can't actually kill you. Think of it like AIDS...except extremely simple to cure. Ick also doesn't deteriorate fins.
I just didn't want anymore misinformation flying around the forum. It feels like we have plenty of that already.

You stated before that you had only just acquired him...
It's very likely that he was sick from the petstore. Stores are notorious for taking poor care of their animals.
He was probably sick when we got him. I explained the whole situation on top of page 3 if you want to read. My sis just told everyone he was euthanized but didn't give the reasons. It makes sense when you'll read it.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #24 
youlovegnats

There see, all explained.
Thanks for clarifying Gen! We aren't mean or rude people, we just care for our pets. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #25 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
There see, all explained.
Thanks for clarifying Gen! We aren't mean or rude people, we just care for our pets. :)
I know, that's why I posted, because she didn't tell the whole story and of course it seemed crazy the way it was told. Yesterday was a sad day for us.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #26 
youlovegnats

:C I'm so sorry about your boy. He was gorgeous. </3
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #27 
Mart2289

I'm sorry for the bad explanation... I mean, my english is not as good as her's. But he really was in pain and there's nothing I could have done..
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #28 
Pogthefish

Was his color faded? Did was he still eating? I wanted to know if i could justify his death
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #29 
Pogthefish

o nvm read the rest of the things, poor fishy :(
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote