Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 
happypappy

My Betta's fin is deteriorating

Please help -- I am new to bettas and my lavendar male's beautiful tail has shredded in 2 days. I have included before and after photos. Water in all tanks were tested and are in normal parameters. I did have a plastic plant and a floating log in his 1 1/"2 gal tank. I am seeing tail rot??? or has he beaten his tail against the plastic plant and/or log??? Except for his tail he is active, eating and otherwise looks healthy.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

Ok so it is tail Biting or fin rot, or both, I would treat with 1tsp AQ Salt per gallon and daily water changes, and if it gets worse then maybe try maracyn
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 
NoahG

Actually, it looks to be either tail biting or he tore it up on the plastic plant -- I can't see much as far as fin rot, and that much damage in two days is more likely caused by tearing or biting.

I would pull the plastic plant, personally -- maybe replace it with something softer. Otherwise: keep the water clean and feed a high protein diet and it should grow back. If it's tail biting you may have to put more work in though. Common causes are boredom, stress, or even sometimes "just because" or to deal with heavy fins.

You can try and see how well it starts to regrow after pulling the plant and keep an eye on it; if there's nothing sharp in the tank for him to be tearing his fins on, and it gets worse, then odds are he's tail biting.

ETA: Actually, looking at the After pic a bit more, if it's not just the picture and his anal and dorsal fin are affected as well, my money's more on the possibility that he's biting his fins.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 
happypappy

Thanks -- that is what i thought i would do. the change was so drastic I was taken by surprise!!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote