Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 
topheredward

Very new and VERY interested!!

Hello all! I completely new to the aquatic world, with absolutely no experience... I have been lurking around this site for a while and am planning on getting a new Betta soon here!
Any and all advice on everything is GREATLY appreciated! I would like to give my Betta the best life possible and help and research is the first step!!

So far I have bought:
8 gallon Aqueon evolve, heater, thermometer, API master testing kit, aqua culture substrate, net.

Any information you can give me on cleaning routines and processes, what to do before I bring one home, feeding and overall general care, and any tips or secrets!
I want to make sure I am doing everything 100% correctly!
Thank you so much in advance!!
Can't wait to read what you have to type!
topheredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

My tip for you is try not to use the net should you ever have a need to remove your betta from his tank. Nets can damage fins and there are other ways to get your betta out. You can try using his cup to get him out, maybe a little food to lure him in there, or you can try cupping him with clean hands (do not use soap beforehand).

I can't really give you feeding tips unless I know the brand of food. Two highly recommended food brands are Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum. Also, try to give your betta some variance in his/her diet... something such as frozen bloodworms once a week.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #3 
Laki

Hi and welcome to the forum!!! Warning, you'll soon find yourself wanting more bettas!!! lol

I'd love to see pics! The tank sounds awesome. I know some people don't like using nets but I have never had a problem. I try to trick my fish into the cups but the suction gets them so fast I think they're getting dizzy and scared by the turbulence! Though the net = a good long chase.. Whatever works for your little guy! They're like pokemon, they're all so different in personality!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Pokemon, hahaha.
I'd suggest reading up on the nitrogen cycle and going through it with an aquarium like that. We have quite a few articles on it here. :) With aqua culture substrate I'm assuming it'll be planted?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 
mhxistenz

Welcome to the hobby and forum! If you haven't already, check out the stickies under Betta Fish Care for loads of good info. Looks like you're off to a great start. I find that just watching my fish and interacting with them calms me and puts me in a better frame of mind.

Laki, pokemon! LOL!
mhxistenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #6 
topheredward

Good tip on the net..!
I really like the idea of a planted tank, but this will be my first tank... is it harder? My tank came with LED lighting..?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #7 
Mo

planted tanks are no harder than a non planted tank as long as you choose the right plants and have the relatively main requirements. a source of ammonia, etc. such as fish waste, light, and for rooted plants. substrate
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #8 
Laki

LED won't grow plants. But there is a sticky somewhere on the plants and their maintenance. I have a florescent light and a desk lamp for my 2 tanks and my marimo moss (known affectionately [often named] as nano and moss balls) is flourishing. VERY green!! My java moss is suffering but I think it's my water quality so I'm going to change that with fertilizers. There are some plants which don't require crazy lights. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 
topheredward

Good to know! Then I believe I will go ahead and try planted! I'm sure the Betta will appreciate it.
Before bringing the Betta home, I only need to have the tank set up and running for a day or two in advance, correct?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
LED won't grow plants. But there is a sticky somewhere on the plants and their maintenance.
where do you get the idea of LEDS not growing plants very well? LEDS in fact will support tremendous, beautiful plant growth with medium to low light plants given the right wattage and placement.

PS. I made the plant thread sticky and a link is in my sig under the name of plants
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote