Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 
Laki

Plant help!

I got some responses on my kijiji ad for live plants. Plants people are interested in selling me are:
hornwort
java fern
java moss
hygrophilia polysperma
wisteria
water sprite

I need some tips on care for these things. I don't have anything to plant these so non-burrowing would be best. I have some small terracotta pots if I must bury the roots. Having 2 small tanks I need to be able to disrupt the gravel once a week.
I'm picking up seachem flourish this week or next. Will I need anything else? I want to take the silk plants out of my tanks and put real ones in ^.^

Hardy is a must, with the handling I do to the tanks I don't want them to die.

Thanks!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
Mo

-Java Moss

Bio
this is a very beautiful, hardy, fast growing, and very rewarding aquarium plant that will be the best addition to almost any home aquarium setup. due to its low care requirements it will grow green in the worst of conditions. this plant has many advantages including it being one of this plants that will help with ammonia issues, there have been studies with java moss, and it took 2 weeks for a small female betta to produce .25 PPM ammonia in a 1 liter tank. from my own experience my fish love to swim through the tangled up moss, this plant has helped my fry survive to adulthood as they retreated in it as soon as the bigger fish came by.other than that bettas will enjoy swimming through the tangled mess of small almost wire like "threads"

-Hornwort

Bio
Hornwort is a very attractive, easy to care for, floating aquarium plant that is oftenly sold in small bunches and is somewhat easy to obtain, while this plant does have very few requirements, there is a key part into keeping and understanding this plant. It has been known to go through its own adjustment periods in which it can lose many if it's pine like leaves. Other than that bettas will highly appreciate striding through the clumped leaves, hiding in them, and playing through them, it has also been known to support well water quality

-Water Wisteria

Bio
Water wisteria is a very fun to keep, very attractive plant with little requirements and has been suscesfully grown in a wide range if setups such as little light and no added supplements regarding ferilization, and Co2. Bettas will appreciate having this plant for safety, hiding, interaction, and striding through, it has also been known to support well water quality

-Water Sprite

Bio
Water sprite is an especially beautiful aquarium plant that has few requirements for is exceptional beauty. It h been known to support all aspects of growth as well regarding attractiveness in a very broad range if setups such as little light, and no supplements regarding fertilization, and Co2. it has also been known to support well water quality

-Hygrophila Polysperma

Bio
Hygrohila polysperma is an exellent beautiful plant with very minimal requirements, such as moderate light, no fertilization, and no Co2 supplements. I have grown this plant in a wide range of setups and have noticed that bettas have appreciated the long slender like leaves to swim around and under, hide in, and play with. A beautiful specimen of this plant is found in my avatar
Java Fern

Bio
Java fern is a relatively easy to care for plant with minimal requirements regarding setup, and nutrient requirement. Java fern will grow very well, and vigorously in a wide range of setups, such as with little light, no added fertilization, little circulation, and no added Co2. but appreciates Just a small amount of added liquid ferilization and will grow much more vigorously and will show an elevated amount of vivid green colors with it. this plants propagates through small plant lets forming off the plant. When small rows of brown spots are seen on the plant, don't be alarmed. This is a sign of it reproducing.

Java fern is a very beautiful, non substrate rooted plant, which means that it has roots yet it doesn't do well in the substrate and will rot if placed in there which is why it is usually seen tied to rocks, driftwood or left to float. When tying it to ricks you can easily use a small cotton thread to tie, and after time the cotton will disintegrate and the java fern will attach to the material it's tied to. It's appearance looks very pretty, and gives a graceful appearance with the long slender dark green leaves, or sometimes a bit wider leaves, along with small branches sometimes seen forming on some parts of the leaves such as the one in the provided picture above. The appearance of this plant might look pretty to you and possibly the fish but herbivorous and omnivorous fish avoid this plant due to its bitter, hard taste which is the primary reason it's recommended for cichlid tanks, out of all the other plants
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 
Laki

lol Thanks!! Before I posted this thread I already read this! Thanks though :)

Lights. It's in my head to pick up plant growing lights but will any of these plants be okay with the regular old lights I have? (desk lamp type A bulb and florescent)

DO any of these need to be rooted in the soil substrate? I don't want to do that. So farm java moss, hornwort and java fern and water sprite don't require planting in soil.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
Mo

None of them require rooting and all do well in relatively low light.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 
Laki

Oh!! Excellent! I emailed back the guy offering all the plants. He and his buddy are starting an aquatic plant nursery- plants are cheap like 5$!
Any of these need fertilizer? Or will SeaChem flourish do fine for all?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 
Mo

Nope. Not need special fertilizers of substrate nutrients. They should all do well without fertilizers but seachem flourish is an extremely good product and I would highly recommend it
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 
Laki

Thanks! I got the suggestion off you about my java fern!
I'll definitely keep everyone posted about the plants. If I make a bulk(ish) order he'll give me a discount! But 5$ a bunch is still pretty phenomenal!