Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #11 
bahamut285

To be truthfully honest, I personally dislike seeing 100 threads saying "OMG MY FISH HAS FINROT WHAT DO I DO?" or "HOW DO I BREED MY FISH?" or other fairly simple and FAQ-like questions when there are a plethora of wonderfully written stickies in the appropriate sections.

Unfortunately it is not practiced in this forum but in my gaming forums, threads are redirected and subsequently deleted when you ask a question that is clearly and properly covered in a sticky.

I don't think it is necessary to have about 5 or so threads a day on "HOW MUCH/WHAT DO I FEED MY FISH" when there are several "Care" stickies at the top.

Normally I just end up linking people to the stickies and/or highlighting the answer to their question in the sticky.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #12 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Exactly! You help people like me by telling them where to look.
Thing is that sometimes you might wanna hear different opinions on a topic and get the best out of each answer. Thanks.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Exactly! You help people like me by telling them where to look.
Thing is that sometimes you might wanna hear different opinions on a topic and get the best out of each answer. Thanks.
if any newbs are reading this, use the search function first, if you don't find your answer then google your question. THEN and only then, if you find no answer, ask here.

I found more answers and better answers on google than I have here (no offense guys!)
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #14 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

IMO that would make the site pointless, I guess all people like me want to find a more accurate and reliable answer.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Google is nice for some facts, medicating etc. But a lot of the time people are searching for opinions and personal experiences from a wide range of people- in which case forums are the best. Sometimes a question is so personal, like if your specific stocking ideas will work out as well. Sometimes if a fish is very sick and medicine isn't helping it's good to ask- also if you have an untrained eye, I highly recommend posting a photo of your sick fish on here, it's possible for new members to diagnose things wrong (like me when I was new here, lol ^-^).
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #16 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
IMO that would make the site pointless, I guess all people like me want to find a more accurate and reliable answer.
IMO it makes the site less annoying and cluttered.....
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My pet peeve on this forum is people asking what the "mysterious white film" on their tank is- protein film. I've answered this question sooo many times- I'm currently working on a "Freshwater Aquarium Pests" article that I hope will be stickied.
(Not that that'll stop a ton of questions about what it is...) xD
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #18 
Hanky

One thing we can do is just reply to a thread, even if we dont have an answer just say HI it will get the thread from unanswered to new posts where more people will see them
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #19 
Hanky

I wish more people would update their posts too, If someone asks for advice and get replys then at least have the courtesy to come back and say thanks and let us know how you made out and which piece of advice helped you.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #20 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Google is nice for some facts, medicating etc. But a lot of the time people are searching for opinions and personal experiences from a wide range of people- in which case forums are the best. Sometimes a question is so personal, like if your specific stocking ideas will work out as well. Sometimes if a fish is very sick and medicine isn't helping it's good to ask- also if you have an untrained eye, I highly recommend posting a photo of your sick fish on here, it's possible for new members to diagnose things wrong (like me when I was new here, lol ^-^).
Olympia is right, Is impossible to get the personalized answers from google.
Don't get me wrong google is good but it will never como as close as plant advice from MO, or Bombalurinas journal thread "Maybe this will help", or pictures of Olympia's garden and so on.
advice from personal experiences is the best.