Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This is going to sound crazy, but..

Can you be allergic to just ONE dog?
I've looked on google, and all I've found is that certain individuals have more dander, but that's not my problem.
Whenever Mocha the dobie licks me I get really itchy. This has never happened with any other dog saliva before (trust me, we have a boxer!).
My parents thought I was making this up, but I also get hives from her.
The other day during a training session, which involves lot's of hand licking, I got a ton of hives and I proved my parents wrong. The hives aren't red, they are just skin coloured and small, in large bunches, and they go away after a few minutes, the itching lasts a lot longer.
Is it even possible that I'm only allergic to Mocha? O___O

btw, she is doing good, still having some problems but we are getting a trainer to come help me. ^-^ She is the weirdest dog in the world though, I swear. She runs laps around the house when she sees me coming home everyday, it's the most insane reaction from a dog I've ever seen! I can't talk to her for a few minutes after I get home or she does that excitement peeing thing, so I just ignore her until she calms down.

also note- this allergy is in no way making me want to get rid of her, I can totally live with it, I just need to train her not to lick me so much
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

Ahhh, allergies, a subject near and reviled by my heart!

My instant reaction upon reading this was "yes" and a quick Google search seems to confirm my suspicion.

I believe what happens is that we don't inherit an allergy to a particular substance, but rather we inherit the propensity to have allergies and our environment dictates what allergies we may develop.

Since different animal breeds will excrete different levels, and I would suspect even different types, of allergens then you may very well be allergic to a Doberman and not a Boxer.

Just my completely non-scientific opinions based on years of study.

ETA: The danger is that with constant exposure your allergic reaction will get worse with time. Please be aware of any tightening of your throat or chest and seek medical attention immediately. You may want to consult an allergist to discuss your options.

Last edited by sparkyjoe; 04-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh man.. That's scary to know. If anything worsens I'll be sure to visit the doctor!
Thanks for clearing that up, I hope it doesn't get any worse!
Would just avoiding her touching me too much help slow it down?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 
sparkyjoe

It's hard to say, but I would think no. This is because the dander is going to be in the air you're constantly breathing so just keeping her from licking you is mostly going to cut down on the the hives but the allergy is still there.

Strangely for someone who wasn't raised in an inner city or doesn't work in a scientific environment, I'm allergic to rats. I've had two pet rats in my lifetime (one at a time) and both lived shortened lives due to cancer so in total I had them for maybe two years? Yet I developed an allergy in that time and can never again comfortably live with pet rats.

That your allergy has developed so strongly and quickly isn't really a good thing and it could possibly get worse.

I would really advise you to seek medical help now and maybe they can run tests to determine exactly what you're allergic to and give you some options such as meds or "allergy shots" which are designed to desensitize you.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Just to add to the great info you already got. I agree, You can be allergic to one dogs saliva and not another, dander on one dog and not another. You can be allergic to a single human too (I'm allergic to the stupid ones). Also you can have no allergy to something and develop one over time. It's strange those allergies

*I'm an allergy sufferer since about 5, so 20 years of sneezing*
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh dear...
Well I don't want my parents thinking I'm overreacting (don't even ask, they're crazy).
I'll make an appointment to get my new acne prescription and then bring up the allergy with the doctor on the side...
Thanks guys... I hope this doesn't get too bad, don't wanna lose my puppy ;-;
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #7 
sparkyjoe

Yeah, it's a risk that the allergies will get worse, just be cautious and aware of the potential for them to get worse.

I've suffered with stuffy heads, runny eyes, and hives for 30+ years and can tell you that some days are better than others, but I've learned how to navigate life so the misery is minimized.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hopefully it'll all be okay and at the least I could get some medication to help out.
Can't imagine losing my baby to this..
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #9 
Hanky

I wonder if it could be from the dogs food or something she ate thats leaving residues on her tongue then transfering to you by licking? Maybe it has nothing to do with her? Just hopefull thinking maybe.
Glad to hear shes coming along though, I folled your other post about training her.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 
sparkyjoe

Don't think about that possibility, because it's not likely to happen but if you must, then look at it this way...

Whenever I have fear of the future, I try to imagine the very, very worse that can happen, then think about what I would do if that bad thing were to happen. 99.99% of the time I find I've worried for nothing, but by facing that fear it made me calmer.

There are LOTS of options available before you would ever have to consider loosing your baby. I'm not trying to scare you, just be conscience of the possibility that things could get worse and your health is important and symptoms should not be ignored.