Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #21 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

I agree with a lot of things that have been said in this thread.

One thing I have to say, is that my major pet hate is new members posting correctly in Meet the Community and NO ONE answer them, a simple welcome is all that is required. Doesnt not have to be a moderator, anyone can do it...makes them feel welcome and more likely to stay.

Posting a simple hello and then potentially leaving is not a good way to increase the member base.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #22 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Thanks for your input, I like the way you think!
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #23 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

I should be thanking you for starting this thread, it brings up extremely valid points and is something I have also noticed as well.

The new members who sign up on this forum should be welcomed, not just by the welcome email received when they sign up but in person by members.
As someone mentioned, if a thread is recent and answers the posters questions, then by all means direct them to that thread. It may not be directly related to their point but will offer information perhaps they have not thought of before starting another thread asking about it.

The classified section, yes a lot of threads go unanswered unless someone is interested in the item being offered..other sections though, the threads as mentioned may be lost with the new posts in other threads..I know Byron is extremely active in a lot of forum sections and rightly so with his knowledge.

My area is African Cichlids, which I am no expert on but know more about than anything else, I will still offer advice if it is relevant and not likely to cause harm to keepers fish or if regarding equipment, potentially themselves in other sections and have done.

It was an excellent thought on your part starting this thread..congrats.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree.. the community should be warmer and friendlier to new members..
I've seen a lot of new people get frustrated when they're doing something potentially dangerous, and just because someone acts more forceful about the right thing to do, they naturally want to do the opposite..
For example this betta site is incredibly warm, and willing to continue to offer help as long as the person is trying (there have been times of hostility in the past, and this just gets everyone more frustrated). If we all posted "your betta will be miserable with out a heater" to new members, it just seems a lot more intimidating than "you'll notice your betta full of energy once he has heated water".
If that makes sense to you guys. People listen better if you treat them nice. Of course over text on the internet, things are misinterperated, and we have to solve those issues, it's why I tend to use a lot of smiley faces actually. :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #25 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

LOL. I am sure everyone is gonna appreciate the smiley faces and the helpful advice.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #26 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Same can be said with humans, I got majorly cranky when I had no hot water in the middle of Canadian winter and had to go down the road to my friends house in -20C to have a bath/shower

I agree with what you are saying Olympia, it is hard to convey information via text, that is why the posts should be clear and to the point without offering arguments.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #27 
Hanky

People should remember too the main focus of these forums is for people with similar interests come together and exchange info, many times new members are unfamilar with forums and usually are stressed out over issues with there tank. Then when they post a question and need help some folks jump on them for being overstocked or mixing species that they shouldnt, sometimes just a little patients and understanding goes a long way
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #28 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
People should remember too the main focus of these forums is for people with similar interests come together and exchange info, many times new members are unfamilar with forums and usually are stressed out over issues with there tank. Then when they post a question and need help some folks jump on them for being overstocked or mixing species that they shouldnt, sometimes just a little patients and understanding goes a long way
Yes you have a good point, but often times it is the overstocking, overfeeding, and mixing of fishes that shouldn't be together that causes the health problems that brought newcomer here in first place.
Questions should be answered, but one must also point out that which may be contributing to the problem or soon will be.
Just my two cent's.

Last edited by 1077; 04-20-2012 at 05:38 AM.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #29 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Don't get me wrong google is good but it will never como as close as plant advice from MO, or Bombalurinas journal thread "Maybe this will help", or pictures of Olympia's garden and so on.
Just googled "my betta won't eat" and got a variety of personal experiences from several fish forums including this one. I stand by the GOOGLE FIRST advice.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #30 
Hanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Yes you have a good point, but often times it is the overstocking, overfeeding, and mixing of fishes that shouldn't be together that causes the health problems that brought newcomer here in first place.
Questions should be answered, but one must also point out that which may be contributing to the problem or soon will be.
Just my two cent's.
I totally agree, I guess its just in a few cases I've seen some remarks to newbies that seem very snooty or degrading to them, I know its not always easy to get a compationate response to someone in text form.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote